Temperature control on a propane smoker

jodief100

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here but have been on backyardherds for a long time. I need a little help with food preservation.

My wonderful stepson bought hubby a propane smoker for Father's Day. Even on minimum temperature it is at around 200 degrees. Any suggestions on how to get the temperature lower? I would like to be able to do some smoking at around 100-120 degrees.

Thanks!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Hello! I am new here but have been on backyardherds for a long time. I need a little help with food preservation.

My wonderful stepson bought hubby a propane smoker for Father's Day. Even on minimum temperature it is at around 200 degrees. Any suggestions on how to get the temperature lower? I would like to be able to do some smoking at around 100-120 degrees.

Thanks!
Sorry but most consumer smokers are made to hot smoke only. The reason is liability You must really know what you are doing when you cold smoke 100-120 F is a danger zone where Bacteria can live and reproduce rapidily. Most experienced people won't try in that range unless the item is cured first. Now that you have been warned your best option is to cool the smoke after it has been produced but before it hits the item to be smoked. If you have a simple stacked smoker I have no suggestions other than trying to introduce cool air or adding an extra section to allow the smoke to cool. If you have a seperate heater and a seperate smoking chamber it can be done after a lot of trials to get the right smoke temperature. Good luck and I'm sorry that I couldn't be more helpful. ~gd