Tent for Daily Living Purposes

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
dfr1973 said:
I personally am looking into a yurt for tent-style living.
That's our first choice; however, the $6,500 + price tag is too much for us :rolleyes:
Maybe you could find a used one.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Or try building one - start with a smaller one for practice. (I am still trying to convince hubby on this one.)

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
If you don't mind a little DIY, something like this might work: http://www.sacoriver.net/~freegate/Pavilion.html
How cool is this? I got all excited and then read this ;) "We found however (did we mention that we're both engineers?), that all of these designs included some very time-consuming or complex features, and some required the use of an industrial sewing machine or other special equipment. "

Still, I'm going to show this link to Lee. 'Cause bottom line it would be his baby to build.

He was telling me that he would like a 30' x 30' foot tent for us all to live in. We want the children to have their own "rooms", if-you-will.

Lyric

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dfr1973 said:
Or try building one - start with a smaller one for practice. (I am still trying to convince hubby on this one.)
Good idea!

Keeping it on the real, our income last 30 days has been about $50. Every dime we manage to earn needs to be used to secure a living space . . . a la the tent. In another forum I commented in the topic line, "Not waiting until the SHTF". We're facing some real stuff NOW. I know some are not in our boat and see things from another perspective and that's all good. May they never face what we are.

Sadly, we believe what we are looking at will be the same for many others in a very short while. We don't want to wait until the bottom totally falls out. We need a liveable, sturdy, military style, hardy tent as soon as we can get one. We'll keep looking, researching and definitely praying. We do believe in working in harmony with our prayers. :bow And, we are realists and see the handwriting on the wall. THAT'S why we don't want to wait and see the urgency now.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
We need a liveable, sturdy, military style, hardy tent as soon as we can get one.
As someone who lived in one (a GP-small) for months, I don't consider military tents to be very sturdy. What they ARE, is portable and quick setup and teardown once those involved are familiar with the processes. When we stopped jumping around so much in Iraq, we took over existing buildings instead of setting up tents for longer-term living arrangements. That is why I am looking at the yurt idea, instead of what I am more familiar with (GP-small and hex tents). We didn't even have to deal with rain in Kuwait and Iraq, which was probably a good thing.