Thank you BBH!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I showed your raw milk articles to dh. He had not been wanting to get a dairy animal here, especially a goat. After reading your links and doing some researchon his own, he is now on board for getting a dairy critter. Raw milk sales are illegal here in Canada, and no luck finding a black market.

So now that he is on board, we'll be starting on the fence this winter to have goats (probably goats) this spring.

YAY!!!! :ya

Thanks!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Who me? WOW! I'm speechless! I'm the one ususally getting inspired by y'all! Gosh! Thank you!

I am very, very happy for you and your husband! :thumbsup I can't wait to hear all about your adventure!! Is it illegal to drink your own dairy animal's milk? Or to just buy and sell it? Very cool!

Yea for you!! :ya

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just to buy and sell it. We just signed a petition to legalize it. Sheesh!!! We're talking about MILK here people. Its easier to get pot here than it is raw milk!!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Miss_thenorth,

I really wouldn't know anything about the benefits of raw milk if it weren't for FREEMOTION!! She offered a class, what about 2-3 months ago and I signed up. (So did Noobiechickenlady.) Free taught me everything I know and I was just sharing with everyone here a bit of info that I got out of a pamplet.

I have to say one thing that I didn't have time to say yesterday and I'll make it as short as I can.

Since my daughter entered school in the first grade, she struggled with grades. She was diagnosed with auditory preception disorder and was treated for it through a program called fastforWORD. It helped a bit.

She is now in the 7th grade and has had to go to summer school every summer since the 1st grade so she could pass onto the next grade. Her grades hover around C-D barely passing to failing. In math she always got an F.

This year I have been cooking "traditionally nourishing" food from scratch including glasses of RAW MILK with breakfast every morning before school. (Everything I learned in freemotion's class.)

Two days ago she brought home her progress report, I dreaded opening it, but guess what? She got 6 out of 7 As!!!! :weee The 7th grade was a C in math. I will take a C in math any day from this child, any day!!!! I was never so proud of her!! I asked her about it and she simply said, "this year everything just sort of cliked Mom".

Never before has this happened, NEVER!! I owe it all to the benefits of RAW MILK and all the other little changes we made around here. (Little changes include: long cooked broths for soups, long soaked black beans and oatmeal, kefir yogurt, RAW MILK!, sauerkraut, sourdough breads, fresh eggs from my chickens etc. You see they are small changes and most of them I already had on the plate, but raw milk and kefir made out of it was new to us; within the last 2-3 months...so I am sure that change was the cherry on top of the cake!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear about your daughter!!! While I have issues with my son, I honestly believe he would be alot worse if his diet was like "most" kids his age. (I say most b/c there are exceptions)

I have never needed convincing. But honestly, my main reason to have a dairy animal, is just part of what I feel I need and want to accomplish in my life--call it a calling or whatever. My desire is to do and raise as much as I can, eat as healthy as we can, and eat as close to "in its natural form" as possible. this is an ongoing evolution, as my awareness increased, I still felt opposition from my immediate family. Still I continue to gently push, and now they are giving way.

While my son would still prefer to eat crackers and store bought cereal, he gets why we don't. (everything else was easy peasy) Now, since Dad is on board with raw dairy, my kids are talking about being able to drink "good" milk from our own goat.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow BBH, that is awesome! Yes I did sign up for Free's class and loved every minute of it. Even better was when DH would step into the room (I had the phone on speaker) so HE learned some things without me having to repeat them :D

Does every woman on here have to prove things to the DH with outside sources or is it just me? :lol:

MTN, that's my main push too. I want our diets to be as close to natural as possible. We run into road blocks every now and again, as MS isn't exactly up-to-the-minute on nutrition. You might have heard we are the second fattest state in the US. No raw milk, the nazi's have wiped them all out. Although, Luvell a local dairy, does pasture it's cows. Very few pick your own farms, hard to find grass-fed meat. So we're looking to buy a Dexter for milk & some goats for meat. I've found the Dexter, she's adorable! Just have to get the money together.

I'm still working on our diets, but the benefits of what I have been ale to do are great. DH's reflux is gone, hasn't had an episode in months. I'm not having the intestinal issues I once had. DD is finally gaining weight without stuffing herself. She's a skinny little thing with a super metabolism that makes me see green :D The kid eats more than I do! We've always struggled with DS weight too, but in the opposite direction. Plus he's on the short side, so his body style is a little out of whack. Add that to abdomen surgery, which weakened his ab muscles and the kid's got a "beer" gut. He isn't having the weight problems any longer, he's slimmed down enough that we don't have to special order his pants, we can just get the husky sizes now.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Noobie, that is awesome!

(My own daughter also slimmed down which has helped her asthma so much!)

Now for my slim down, well lets just say I'm a work in progress...things take longer with me. :rolleyes:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Does every woman on here have to prove things to the DH with outside sources or is it just me? Nope, me too :frow

So please everyone....explain the raw milk thing to me. I admit that I have not read NT cover to cover....some of the technical science stuff goes my eyeballs and then falls out my ears. I understand the part about what they do to milk in processing absolutely ruins it, as far as having any health benefits....that is about the extent of my knowledge.

Raw milk is sold in at least one store that I know of here about 30 mins away. DH would probably freak. as conventional wisdom (and i use that word sarcastically....) advises against raw dairy.

Someone enlighten me :pop