Thanksgiving ...What does your menu look like?

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Deep fried turkey breast
Pineapple brown sugar ham
cornbread dressing
mashed potatoes
squash casserole
green beans
purple hull peas
whole kernel corn
cranberry sauce
rolls
Reese's cake
pecan pie
chocolate chip pecan cookie bars

and if they want anything else they better call a caterer :p The neighbors will probably be over or at least in and out eating here too. I like turkey, the rest of my bunch hates it, so they get ham the way they like it and I'm just cooking a breast for me and whoever else wants some otherwise I eat too many turkey sandwiches and sleep too much over the next week :lol: There will be anywhere between 4-15 people or better over here.....that I am aware of anyway. Could be more :hu I never know until the plates start flying off the shelf :p Pinky has an open invitation to any and all holiday dinners here, as does the whole neighborhood, my family, his family, church family, kids friends, and any random people off the street :lol:

On flavoring the turkey, cook it breast side down for the first half of cooking time, basting with butter and spices of your choice, then mid way flip the bird(probably need assistance here) and finish the cooking/browning that way. What that does is keep the juices in the breast so it is not overly dry, by the time it is flipped, juices are already locked in the breast meat. My baste is usually just butter salt onion powder and a hint of garlic. It is better to use real butter for best flavor. The other stuff is just basically salted hydrogenized oil and does not do as well as far as flavoring the meat.
:frow I'm going to WBF's for Thanksgiving! :lol: She had me planning my escape to TN at deep fried turkey breast, then sealed the deal with Reese's cake! :D

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My favorite holiday! And I just got out my menu the other day so I could start purchasing some of the groceries. No garden this year, but next year I hope some of the menu will be our own homegrown stuff!

Turkey
Stuffing
Dressing (yes, there is a difference so we have them both when I can get one of my Southern-cooking friends to bring the dressing!)
Asparagus Casserole
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Apple Salad
Cranberry Sauce
Relish Tray (black and green olives are always included)
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie

Now I'm hungry! :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reese's cake! I want some - now... oh wait...I started the dreaded 'd' word today and it's not even Monday:( UGH

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pretty much all of the above....but add in gluten/ lactose free stuffing and vegetarian stuffing for our kids

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Traditional menu, much like all of the above for the first/main dinner.

Lasagna or chili for all the other celebrations with other family/friends. I can only take so much turkey, lol!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not me! :) I only cook a turkey for that day so that I can have turkey sandwiches for the rest of the day.... :drool Homemade bread, sweet onion, dark and white turkey, hot pepper butter...Heaven.

CountryKat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Actually, I think I might be making a visit to you all's places this Thanksgiving. :lol:

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanksgiving........Thanksgiving............isn't that at the END OF NOVEMBER??? :barnie

Ya'll are driving me nuts............I have no blessed idea what we're having for thanksgiving! I know we're having chicken leg quarters tonight and leftovers tomorrow, after that I'm tapped!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanksgiving menu:
Get
in
car.
Drive
to
sister's
house.
:lol: