The Bacon Explosion worked, I'm getting married...

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First of all....Congratulations.
Second of all....BEST PROPOSAL EVER.....at least a heck of a lot better than mine.
And thirds....Do whatever you want for your wedding. The wedding is when you set the boundaries for your marraige. That said, I gave in to my MIL on the flowers, and let her buy bouquets and boutineers. I got my way and just used garden flowers arranged in baskets for the tables. I gave in to my FIL and let him give us a "mini-reception" right after the church-ceremony, it was a pot-luck luncheon. I gave in to my mom and let her serve whatever she wanted food wise at the formal ceremony, but I stood my ground and we had it in her back-yard. My aunt supplied us with table clothes and chairs that she had purchased for my cousin's wedding. I have a very smart aunt, those table clothes are white and floor length, and I think have been used at least 10 of my cousin's weddings so far. She should start charging fees. I did make my husband buy a new suit for the wedding (he spent more than I did on my dress!), but he still wears the jacket 10 years later. We didn't have music (frankly I just forgot about it), had friends take pictures, no video, and very informal. I even went barefoot!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
First of all....Congratulations.
Second of all....BEST PROPOSAL EVER.....at least a heck of a lot better than mine.
And thirds....Do whatever you want for your wedding. The wedding is when you set the boundaries for your marraige. That said, I gave in to my MIL on the flowers, and let her buy bouquets and boutineers. I got my way and just used garden flowers arranged in baskets for the tables. I gave in to my FIL and let him give us a "mini-reception" right after the church-ceremony, it was a pot-luck luncheon. I gave in to my mom and let her serve whatever she wanted food wise at the formal ceremony, but I stood my ground and we had it in her back-yard. My aunt supplied us with table clothes and chairs that she had purchased for my cousin's wedding. I have a very smart aunt, those table clothes are white and floor length, and I think have been used at least 10 of my cousin's weddings so far. She should start charging fees. I did make my husband buy a new suit for the wedding (he spent more than I did on my dress!), but he still wears the jacket 10 years later. We didn't have music (frankly I just forgot about it), had friends take pictures, no video, and very informal. I even went barefoot!
THANK YOU. I needed to hear this today. The family on both sides is being incredibly nasty to me about my "selfish, immature" refusal to have a big, ridiculous circus. They have completely killed my buzz and put me on the defensive. The craziness stopped being funny almost immediately.
You're right. If I don't draw the line HERE and NOW, I'll be fighting them forever.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey girl! It is YOUR day (ok, well future hubby's as well) and YOU get to choose how it goes down.

Part of being a grown up is occasionally having to take an unpopular stand for what you know is right. It ain't all fun and games....and sometimes it does get ugly.

You have a good head on your shoulders, go with what feels right to you and the future Mr. :hugs

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lol Dace, dontcha know the man has no say?

My ex-boyfriend is getting married to his girlfriend of a few years and I asked him...

"Aaron, when's the wedding? I hope I'm invited"

"Of course you are, and I have no idea"

"What is Meg wearing?"

"No clue"

"Is it anytime in the next year?"

"No idea"

"What church?"

"Idk, Meg is chosing"

LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Trust me, Iv'e been married for 20 yrs I know full well that the poor guy has no clue what is going on....I am just being nice :D

When we went to a store to register, my groom to be whined the whole time and eventually sat down on the floor and took his shoes off.....then said, you choose. :smack

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lol!
Problem is, I don't care either. The thought of shopping for garbage makes me decidedly whiny, too :lol:
No one is willing to accept that I won't register for anything, because there aren't going to be enough people there for such a thing to be necessary.
Can you tell I'm the child of a single dad, mountain-man type guy? Is it showing? :lol:

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we got married, we had it in a small, quaint country church. Right next door was an old schoolhouse that was turned into businesses and a caterer had rented the gym as a hall. So we had the wedding in the small church and just walked right over to the hall for dinner. We only had immediate family and close friends. It was a small and intimate wedding shared with only the people that we really wanted there. It was great.

I know it can be hard when others have ideas on how THEY want YOUR wedding but do whatever you want to do for your wedding and invite whoever you want to invite. It is your day and it should be the way you want it.

I'm sure things will get even more hectic for you with this. I'm sure everyone is very excited and anxious for you to do their ideas. Good Luck!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I may be nuts, but it seems to me when two people are binding themselves together as one for the rest of their natural lives, someone else's opinion doesn't matter one bit. Your wedding should reflect your lifestyle, your personalities, your taste and your idea of a good time. There are a number of kind and loving ways to set boundaries when other people try to convince you to listen to them.

Maybe we ought to think of a few for you!

Anyone? Anyone?

As far as registering? My sister registered for the most expensive gifs she could find at the most expensive store in town. Then she returned them all and bought what she really wanted.

I registered at Target and not one person followed the registry.

If you really want the "interested parties" to blow a gasket, AND show that you are setting boundaries, set up a savings account and send everyone a deposit slip.