The "Bee Problem" Is High Fructose Corn Syrup to blame?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks BBirds! :thumbsup

That is what the beekeeper said, he didn't feed during the dead of winter b/c he didn't want to open the hives too much and expose the bees to the colder temps.

He said that bees keep an average temp of 90 degrees all year round. (I thought that was really neat.)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
What would wild bees (or even kept bees 100+ years ago) do during the winter for food? Aren't they supposed to hibernate?
they don't really hibernate- on warm days, you'll see bees out checking their territory- but they stay closer to home and are slower. wild bees will survive off the honey they have stored up or they will die. that's just the way it is.

beekeepers can't really afford to let hives die simply because of lack of food, so they are supplemented. well managed hives won't be supplemented that much and what they get will be as natural as possible. to help ensure you don't have to supplement, you have to be willing to leave honey for the bees. A LOT of beekeepers just can't stand to lose that extra bit of money- whether because they really need it or because they are greedy. either way, it's not a good idea because you are going to have to put more money into the hive as you take more honey out.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, although this is not an SS venture for us I'm still curious to learn more.

I'd really love too, but 10yo is deathly allergic to honeybees and I think we're pushing it to just have a garden & fruit trees.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
How funny that the topic of bees seems to be coming up. I just got an e-mail from the bee guy that his next day seminar is april 24th. He said, though, that he isn't selling nuclei this year because he had a real problem with tracheal mites and he had more losses this winter than normal. He has queens, but no nuclei :/ So much for starting a hive or two this year. Probably a good thing. I don't really need one more thing to do. Whether or not I want it. :D

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
So much for starting a hive or two this year.
you could always capture a swarm for a great source of free bees! it's really not hard if you take the time to read up and you get bees that are already accustomed to your particular environment.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have my 3 empty topbar hives "baited" with empty combs and baggies with lemongrass essential oil-soaked cottonballs. We will see what happens :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Got pics of those hives?

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I have my 3 empty topbar hives "baited" with empty combs and baggies with lemongrass essential oil-soaked cottonballs. We will see what happens :)
That is cool! Keep us posted :)