The BEST automobile for SSers?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will chime in for Toyota trucks. They seem to have longevity, good gas mileage and hold their value.

Wish I had one..... :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Me too!!! As much as I would love to drive a big OLD truck again (had a 71 Chevy Cheyenne :( and I miss it), a new Toyota truck is the best bang for your ss buck, IMO.

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How about a vote for the reliable old Jeep Wrangler? parts galore, easy to maintain, and very useful. I transport evertyhing with mine, pull the rear seat and carpet and use it like a pick up. Last Friday I brough home a new motor for the wifes Taurus in the back of it. I have moved firewood, a stove, fridge, large drill press.... you get the picture! Plus, they are super fun too!

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Id go along with one of the Jap trucks - I got one and it is as reliable as a mule.
Any decent American truck, like an f-150 6 cyclinder, have good reputations, too. The parts are not hard to come by, there are always a few around the junkyard.
As for diesels, I cannot offer any help.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Firefyter-Emt said:
How about a vote for the reliable old Jeep Wrangler? parts galore, easy to maintain, and very useful. I transport evertyhing with mine, pull the rear seat and carpet and use it like a pick up. Last Friday I brough home a new motor for the wifes Taurus in the back of it. I have moved firewood, a stove, fridge, large drill press.... you get the picture! Plus, they are super fun too!
The smaller Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 inline 6 is a workhorse and there are tons of them around for parts. I have a buddy that is on his third one, and the first two he got rid of at over 300,000, AFTER they had been totaled in accidents. He walked away from BOTH of them with out a scratch.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
We must have the only Toyota POS
Well....sometimes you get one made on a Friday....right before a holiday....
Exactly. Any one thing can be a POS. Add to that, how it is cared for, or not, as the case may be.
The goal is to get something that has the potential for excellence - then exploit it. In general the Japanses products offer that.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know about the Toyota trucks, but I adore our Toyota Camrys...yes 2! We have a 2009 & 1999, the 99' I love! It has never left me stranded and starts every morning even in the cold Indiana weather. I also work with to women whom both own Camrys as well. One is a 98' the other a 95'...they are both running just fine with minimal maintenance.

I don't know about the SS aspect of them, but they were both made in the US, get good gas mileage and since they are fine with minimum maintenance, less money/time/parts spent.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Older Rangers are easy to work on and no real issues.
We have a 2001 Ranger that is already on it's second engine and last week the drive shaft for the 4 wheel drive fell off. It will still run on front wheel drive, but that's not the point. In addition, it is terrible for gas mileage. Only 80,000 miles on it; not driven distances and was supposed to be the good vehicle for trips to the doctors. Ha!
Our older 1990 Ranger was sooo economical in all ways.

Latest posts