The BEST automobile for SSers?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
I don't know about the Toyota trucks, but I adore our Toyota Camrys...yes 2!
Definately a good one, I've had a '96 for the past year. Paid $2000 for it and haven't regretted an inch. I've had to get alignments & rotations, but I do my own fluid & filter changes. Last week we thought the transmission was starting to slip & took it to the shop, wincing the whole way there. Turned out that the motor mount bolts were loooooose, about to fall out, which was making the motor shift when I accelerated, which in turn made the transmission lose its oil. 1-1/2 hours & $50 later, she was back driving like a dream :D
I've had great experiences with the Toyota brands, trucks & cars, as well. It seems the older vehicles in general are more reliable & easy to repair. How shocking... :lol:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A little different approach- although I would certianly check out the vechicle on the internet once I located it, I would get pretty much any truck bought late in life by an older man who knew his trucks and kept it in a garage. More over, if it's a man with an honest reputation, so much the better.
I bought my now 12 year old Ram 2500 (diesel) when it was 8 years old with 13,000 miles on it. The thing was like new and has been a great truck.
For a car, any older person who has a uptight attitude about maintaining their vehicle will be a good bet. Needs to have been in a garage and NO teenage drivers had access.
My grandmother had a car for 49 years- she kept it up, only drove in the summer on short trips and at her death, the Henry Ford Museum bought it as it was like new- even the original upholstery was perfect. Those cars are out there but they need to be bought when the come up, not when you need them. So getting ready for the deal by saving up is a real money saver.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
A little different approach- although I would certianly check out the vechicle on the internet once I located it, I would get pretty much any truck bought late in life by an older man who knew his trucks and kept it in a garage. More over, if it's a man with an honest reputation, so much the better.
I bought my now 12 year old Ram 2500 (diesel) when it was 8 years old with 13,000 miles on it. The thing was like new and has been a great truck.
For a car, any older person who has a uptight attitude about maintaining their vehicle will be a good bet. Needs to have been in a garage and NO teenage drivers had access.
My grandmother had a car for 49 years- she kept it up, only drove in the summer on short trips and at her death, the Henry Ford Museum bought it as it was like new- even the original upholstery was perfect. Those cars are out there but they need to be bought when the come up, not when you need them. So getting ready for the deal by saving up is a real money saver.
Great advice!!!
:thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have an old Chevy 6 cylinder truck that was used as a fleet vehicle before me. Stripped to the bare bones (no air or carpet). It has ran like a champ. I also LOVE my Jeeps. We have had many over the years, but now a days getting parts is getting tough. Hubby says Volvo USED to be awesome, but beware of the new ones!!!

Hubby drives a Honda, which is one tough car and I had a Subaru that I basically drove the wheels off of that we bought for $200.00.

Secrets to buying a good used car.

1. Have cash in hand ... or at least at the bank ready to get.

2. Give that car a hard going over when you test drive it and KNOW what you are looking at and for.

3. Triple check the VIN and all title info.

4. Have a hard copy of the KELLY Blue Book (online) for your perspective car WHEN YOU GO to look at it!

5. Bargain hard and don't be afraid to walk.

6. Turn on the radio and check the presets... A ROCK and ROLL radio preset is always driven harder and neglected more than a CLASSICAL, EASY LISTENING or talk radio preset.

7. ALWAYS BUY FROM an individual - lots will rip you off!!

Our average vehicle cost is $1500 to $2000. A car/truck at that price usually lasts us 3 to 4 years average. Then we sell the carcass to the recyclers.

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just wanted to pipe in for Volvos (80s-early90s). The fella drives an '83 242, we used to have an '85 244 (til younger brother wrecked it). The fella basically self-taught himself to do any and all work on it. Most junkyards have lots of volvo parts available, the cars are tough, safe, and reliable, plus the community online and through the volvo club of canada/america are an awesome group of people.

At the big meet this year we met the guy who has the world record for most amount of mileage on a car ever- his old Volvo P1800 is almost at the 3 million mark and still going!