The best price I've found on CORNISH CROSS

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
http://www.schlechthatchery.com/chickens.htm They also will let you get turkeys with your chick order! Has anyone tried raising the red sex links for meat? Their only 65 cents. I'm going to get my layers through cackle and the meaties here. I may grab a couple wyandottes for the heck of it in my order.

Has anyone ordered from them? A better price anywhere?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Remember to include shipping costs when you're pricing chicks! Sometimes the shipping can double the cost of the chicks. Different hatcheries have different costs for chicks AND different shipping costs.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always order from Meyer. They do good sales and the chicks are strong when I get them.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
have you checked central hatchery? they have 100 cornish for $80.00

all their chicks are 100 for $80.00 strait run
100 for $50.00 all male
100 for $110.00 all pullets
thay have
rhode island red
california white
and some others.

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
we had two batches from them last year. had 6 dead on arrival. called and they asked if we wanted a refund or replacement chicks on another order. we took the chicks on our next order. they grew very well and forged in the tractor we use. we'll check out central also.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ninny....our red sex links are fabulous layers but are not very big birds. I keep them a couple of years and then have them butchered for soup and broth

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sparks said:
Ninny....our red sex links are fabulous layers but are not very big birds. I keep them a couple of years and then have them butchered for soup and broth
Yep I was going to ask why buy sex link chicks if you are raising them for meat? Sure roosters might be a oz or two heavier when you send them to freezer camp as very young birds, but if you can get all roosters that much cheaper then straight run it does make sense i suppose.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm I wish I could figure out why I never get emails that people have replied. I hit the subscribe button. :/

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
sparks said:
Yep I was going to ask why buy sex link chicks if you are raising them for meat? Sure roosters might be a oz or two heavier when you send them to freezer camp as very young birds, but if you can get all roosters that much cheaper then straight run it does make sense i suppose.
That was my thought. I don't like the sex link layers. The ones we've had were always nasty tempered.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ninny said:
~gd said:
sparks said:
That was my thought. I don't like the sex link layers. The ones we've had were always nasty tempered.
I must be lucky then.. we buy black sex links and they are the sweetest gals. I'm having problems with my brown leghorns being the bitey naughtys in the flock!
But my best tempered gals tend to be the Ameracanas(sp?) the blue and green egg layers. fat and will rub up on your ankles like a darn cat!