The best price I've found on CORNISH CROSS

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
ninny said:
~gd said:
Yep I was going to ask why buy sex link chicks if you are raising them for meat? Sure roosters might be a oz or two heavier when you send them to freezer camp as very young birds, but if you can get all roosters that much cheaper then straight run it does make sense i suppose.
That was my thought. I don't like the sex link layers. The ones we've had were always nasty tempered.
I must be lucky then.. we buy black sex links and they are the sweetest gals. I'm having problems with my brown leghorns being the bitey naughtys in the flock!
But my best tempered gals tend to be the Ameracanas(sp?) the blue and green egg layers. fat and will rub up on your ankles like a darn cat!
Yup the EES and the RIR tend to be the sweetest.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have 6 red sexlinks and they're egg laying machines...we average 5 a day all summer and 2 or 3 per day now. They're rather small birds and don't have a lot of meat on them; when they quite laying we'll keep them for stewing, of course, but I sure wouldn't get them just for meat. Ours aren't like pets; they're a bit flighty and run from you, but they're perfectly docile once you catch 'em and will sit still in your arms for a long time. I've only ever been pecked when they thought I had food in my fingers...they ARE greedy guts, LOL. They never fuss when I gather eggs either. As egg producers, we couldn't be happier with 'em and when these are "done" well get more. We're only allowed 6 we live and since our main intent is eggs, I can't "branch out" into other breeds the way I'd like to.