The Bread Thread!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saving some of the starter for the next batch of bread was pretty much how ALL bread was made until modern times. If you keep the starter cool, it doesn't need feeding as often. It develops a slight tang, but doesn't turn as sour as standard "sourdough." As a matter of fact, my mother (who was raised in rural France) told me that if their yeast culture got sour, her mother would throw it out because it had "gone bad"- Sourdough was not popular in France until quite recently. I suspect that sourdough came into being amongst the goldminers of California because they were living in tents and other rough housing that didn't provide much in the way of a cool environment like a cellar or springhouse, so they made do with sour yeast cultures and learned to like the flavor.

According to Jon Townsend (a historical reenactor focusing on 18th C America) a common practice was to pinch off a little bit of the risen dough and dry it for use when traveling. You just needed to add the dried dough to some warm water and let it sit for a bit, until it got foamy-- just like our modern dried yeast. That may even be where Red Star got the idea, lol.

There's your history lesson for the day, children.

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gonna make bread tomorrow.... :weee :weee :weee

We've got a lot of new folks on the board now days and I was wondering....do you all make your own bread? For pleasure or for frugality and health? What types?

I just use a simple recipe we've been using for years now but soon I want to get a starter of sourdough back up and going on the counter.
We use milk in baked goods to enhance the taste and sound of the lips. The protein in milk also gives a soft crumb structure in cakes and contributes to the moisture, color and taste of the baked good. Cakes containing milk often appear to have a longer shelf life.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today, on a whim, I went into a groc store, out of my normal travels. I could not believe it...yeast! Now, only 29 of the 3 pak strips that Fleishman puts out..but I bought 5. With what I have at home I can make some loaves for self & the kiddos....for a treat. Enough for me now. I was on my way to work at a store I don't work often. Sure made my day a little nicer. I'm set for a few months, easily.

People were hawking these on ebay for like $7-9 a pkt. They are $1.79 and not a low priced store PEOPLE -- stop this gouging! By the pound you can get it about $9.

I like focaccia. Have an English muffin recipe I want to try -- some day. LOL Hmmm...I need to order some cheese starters & rennet.
Determined to make some hard cheese types this year.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife's handy work
IMG_20200421_195132.jpg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Tried a modified bread recipe. This was the recipe for Jackie Clay's Honey Wheat Bread in her cook book, and I made honey white bread with it. It has turned out wonderfully. I have some picky eaters... I personally like the honey wheat version too.

wL2iyzCnRXCAVVtEsJ9Mkw.jpg

anyuhbLwR0Gb7ZiS9LrlHg.jpg

2GivahvKTeCmqvND%A0+hQ.jpg

I haven't figured out how to get the tops of my loaves perfect... yet.

Latest posts