The burning question answered....elderberry pie w/pic!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just put one in the oven. I carried a pail and a pair of rose shears with me when I walked the dogs....doesn't everyone? :p And I had them mostly off the stems by the time we got home. The berries are just starting to ripen and it looks like a bumper crop. I also had dh pick up some wine yeast for me today. Let the season begin!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Didn't take too many....and it was SO worth it! The texture and taste of this pie.....absolutely delightful. Tiny bites is the only way to eat this one, to savor the flavor and delicate burst of each berry, and the tiny crunch of each seed, and the amazing amount of flavor.

For a thicker pie, I think these berries would blend quite nicely with pears. Or apples. Pears. Definitely pears.

The recipe came from my favorite "new" WWII era cookbook. There are pies made from many different things, things that I've never heard of. I have a wild grape patch all picked out to try the Concord grape pie recipe this fall.

For the crust, I again used this recipe:

1 1/2 c white wheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 c lard
1/2 c chevre

No liquid. Mostly I pressed it into the pie plate. I was able to roll it out a little better so I was able to weave the top...mostly.

For the filling:

elderberries....2 cups or so
honey...maybe two small spoonfuls
a squirt of liquid stevia extract
about 2 Tbsp flour
the juice of half a lemon

Toss together gently so as not to burst the berries. Assemble and bake.

Warning: It tastes FAR better than it smells! :p

peachpie005.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Mine are almost black....I've heard that certain red ones are not good to eat but I've never seen them other than when I lived in Northern Maine.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Free, I hate you. :lol: :p :lol: :p I WANT A SLICE OF THAT PIE!!!!!! :lol:

The black elderberries, my late grandmother made the best pies and jams with them.... :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Certainly you have elderberries in Ohio! But there is one slice left, come and get it!

Better get here fast, though......

*BURRRRRP!* Too late..... :p

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The DW doesn't like the smell of them cooking/baking in the house.....

Great looking product, though. :thumbsup