The burning question answered....elderberry pie w/pic!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apparently there is also a variety of Sambucus nigra that is golden when ripe. I wonder if it tastes different?

S

sunsaver

Sorry for the sarcasm! :lol: I'm more used to answering questions than getting my questions ignored. I guess most of America is asleep by now. So how are things down-under? How is the rainforest garden coming along? Thanks for all the info, by the way. I will have to harvest some black elderberries in the morning, and see what i can do with them.

I like the idea of a natural pesticide, but...

S

sunsaver

Spring is my favorite time of year. I'm so jealous of you, NC! I'm just dying for fall right now. We've had more than a month of record new high temps. Not much more than cactus can survive these temps without heavy watering. 115*F! WTF! Global Warming is kicking our A$$ in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. A new Dust Bowl? I'm ready to move to Alaska or Canada! Whatever is causing this, it's real and getting worse. Even the WeatherMan is freaking out. Global warming? Duh! We are praying for for rain, and at least one day below 100*F!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We are getting rain!!! Glorious, pasture-saving rain! Woohoo!

The cyanide in elderberries (as stated, mostly in stems, leaves, roots, so remove as many of the tiny stems as humanly possible) is neutralized by cooking, drying, AND fermenting ....so wine is safe!

When I make it later (non enough ripe ones yet) I'll post a recipe on the wine thread.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, I had to comment on "Cooking or drying dispels the offending substance, and greatly improves the flavor." How the heck do you dry an elderberry? What would be left over besides the seed?!?:D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There's not much left after drying, but they are pretty readily found in dried form for purchasing....common ingredient in country wine recipes, and used in Chinese herbal medicine.