The Buy Nothing Project

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
https://buynothingproject.org/?fbclid=IwAR0XZw7e8yMB2Iuqr06p7vfZtHsa9FE9nDCpk7UDwSEqtKMhTSMt-TRFlnE

This could go right along with the Food is Free project. That's where you put out excess garden produce, fruit and eggs for anyone to take if they need it.

I do realize that most of us will can excess food, but there is a lot we can still share.

One year I had so many cucumbers I couldn't find people to take them. Yes, I made freezer cucumbers, etc. I even froze slices in bags to give to the chickens in the winter.

I had planted old seeds. Nothing happened. I planted a lot of new seeds. Then the old ones sprouted. Oh oh. And then the new ones. One day we picked over 70 cucumbers!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's the way of it. I'm a seed hoarder. So... I plant the old seed, then, for insurance, I plant some new seed. I had a bag of packets headed to the garden. laid it down somewhere, and couldn't find it. So... today, I bought some new cucumber seeds. Sure do miss that bag that had my Suyo seeds in it!!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's the way of it. I'm a seed hoarder. So... I plant the old seed, then, for insurance, I plant some new seed. I had a bag of packets headed to the garden. laid it down somewhere, and couldn't find it. So... today, I bought some new cucumber seeds. Sure do miss that bag that had my Suyo seeds in it!!!
Oh no!
I have a friend who is the best seed hoarder I know. The crazy thing is that this year, her old seeds germinated better than the new ones she bought. Might have been from the different variety of tomato, I don't know. She never puts seed in the freezer, just in a dry place.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
https://buynothingproject.org/?fbclid=IwAR0XZw7e8yMB2Iuqr06p7vfZtHsa9FE9nDCpk7UDwSEqtKMhTSMt-TRFlnE

This could go right along with the Food is Free project. That's where you put out excess garden produce, fruit and eggs for anyone to take if they need it.

I do realize that most of us will can excess food, but there is a lot we can still share.

One year I had so many cucumbers I couldn't find people to take them. Yes, I made freezer cucumbers, etc. I even froze slices in bags to give to the chickens in the winter.

I had planted old seeds. Nothing happened. I planted a lot of new seeds. Then the old ones sprouted. Oh oh. And then the new ones. One day we picked over 70 cucumbers!
I really like the concept. its like producing everything from scratch... I hope i can hear from you guys some more soon.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we planted 15 cucumber plants last year. i'm pretty sure we harvested over 1200lbs of cucumbers (most of the time when we picked we'd have 3-4 full 5 gallon pails) nobody wanted any more by the end of summer. i'm hoping we don't plant as many this year. it is a lot of work and a lot of space. we love dill pickles so we did can plenty of those, but once we had enough of those put up then we were giving away cucumbers as fast as we could grow them.

Latest posts