The Diary Of Hardly

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Oh good grief! Someone, give that Hardly a redhead already, so he won't have to go a blowin' up anymore vermin!

:gig

Tallman, please pass this note on to Hardly!

Dear Hardly,

I've a redheaded friend named Becky (not the same Becky who's a member here). She's a right good country gal, can cook up a mean pot of possum, and I'm sure I can see iffen's she'd be interested in a fine country geentelman like yourself.

Sincerely,
Quail

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Oh good grief! Someone, give that Hardly a redhead already, so he won't have to go a blowin' up anymore vermin!

:gig

Tallman, please pass this note on to Hardly!

Dear Hardly,

I've a redheaded friend named Becky (not the same Becky who's a member here). She's a right good country gal, can cook up a mean pot of possum, and I'm sure I can see iffen's she'd be interested in a fine country geentelman like yourself.

Sincerely,
Quail
As I understand the arrangement, all of these girls need to pass the free test. We'll just have to see if Becky's possum cookin' can fill the bill.

ETA: Tell Becky to get in line!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Please, nobody tell redhen about Hardly's unique method of killing and cooking a groundhog in one quick step. I want her to use the hunting knife and have a toddler on her hip, and we don't want to endanger the toddler.
So :duc

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Please, nobody tell redhen about Hardly's unique method of killing and cooking a groundhog in one quick step. I want her to use the hunting knife and have a toddler on her hip, and we don't want to endanger the toddler.
So :duc
Um, where's she getting the toddler????

I mean, wouldn't it work out better if it was her OWN toddler? It's normally happy Mama's who take their own toddlers with them to do thier choring...I'm not loaning out my toddlers....so does Redhen and her brother have a toddler?

:hide

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Part of the task is that she complete it with a toddler on her hip, this is to prove that she can feed Hardly's offspring and care for them while he is in the city on his trips. In the absence of a suitable toddler for the task, she may substitute a large, live racoon.

Child safety is always first, so I felt a need to add the prohibition against the use of explosives for this task.

So, Quail, your kids are safe, you can loan one or two and they will be ok. Do they like roasted or stewed groundhog? Woodchuck Flambe' is off the menu. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
They prefer roasted, preferrably on an open spit.

The spit has to be encircled with bright white, perfectly round rocks, though, so the borrowed toddler can see where not to toddle...

Also, she has to skewer said ground hog just right, and position over the spit. 12 hour slow roasting is best, so hopefully she's not scared of the dark and can set up a good campsite, toddler proofed of course.

:lol:

ps. My friend Becky said, "Too many hoops to hula through to date that Hardly Feller...." so she's leaving up the woo'in' and courtin' to redhen :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What I want to know is ----why does Redhen have to prove anything to Hardly... the way I see it, he should be wooing her, seeing how she has two men vying for her attention--Hardly, and her brother.

I think Redhen should put Hardly to a test. :old

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Redhen with a large raccoon on her hip, skinning a groundhog....hmmmm, that would be quite impressive.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
What I want to know is ----why does Redhen have to prove anything to Hardly... the way I see it, he should be wooing her, seeing how she has two men vying for her attention--Hardly, and her brother.

I think Redhen should put Hardly to a test. :old
Hey, that's a good point!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Because Hardly is not experienced in such things as choosing the proper woman as the mother of his future dozens of children, I was given the task of screening suitors for him. I needed to come up with a task that would cover the most important basic skills that such a woman would need, hence the groundhog test. Of course, once winter comes and the 'hogs all go to ground, I will have to adjust the test accordingly. :cool:

ETA: I think Hardly has proven himself to be a quality country gentleman through his diary entries!