The difference between the North and the South

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.
So true! :gig I swear people that have never drank milk in their life go to the grocery to get some if there's a storm comin'.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I'm Northern....but there is enough red neck in the family that I can get along with Southerners with NO problem :gig

I love comparing family stories with my gf from Arkansas.
There are places where redneck is considered fighting words, like white trash or the N word. Orignally it just meant someone that worked outside where the southern sun actually turned the neck red. A generation of redneck jokes changed all that. BTW are you Blond?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:gig

the kittens in oven, yeppers, I've heard that one personally when the DW first got married and were thinking of moving to the South. We were visiting family and talking to one of their neighbors.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grew up in Los Angeles, but moved to north Texas as a teenager. I was shocked to find out that I was considered a Northerner. "But we're almost on the same parallel," I protested. I didn't understand that there is "south" and "The South," which are two completely different things. (And I had never heard a double first name before then!)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The guy in the house behind me had a double first time, Bobby Tom. No one ever called him anything else, nor did we think it strange.

I've heard that the term redneck originated because of guys wearing a red bandana to protect their neck from getting sunburnt. :hu I've been called a redneck B4, and I take it as a compliment. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There are places where redneck is considered fighting words, like white trash or the N word. Orignally it just meant someone that worked outside where the southern sun actually turned the neck red. A generation of redneck jokes changed all that. BTW are you Blonde?
I'm a redhead :D . Actually it's all gray now, but the bottle I buy to change that is usually red or redish blonde. And I have never lived in any place where redneck came even close to the n word. Must be a Southern thing :gig

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
The guy in the house behind me had a double first time, Bobby Tom. No one ever called him anything else, nor did we think it strange.

I've heard that the term redneck originated because of guys wearing a red bandana to protect their neck from getting sunburnt. :hu I've been called a redneck B4, and I take it as a compliment. :D
I was called Bobby Jim in western NY when I moved to NC I made sure that name didn't come with me!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There are places where redneck is considered fighting words, like white trash or the N word. Orignally it just meant someone that worked outside where the southern sun actually turned the neck red. A generation of redneck jokes changed all that. BTW are you Blonde?
I'm a redhead :D . Actually it's all gray now, but the bottle I buy to change that is usually red or redish blonde. And I have never lived in any place where redneck came even close to the n word. Must be a Southern thing :gig
Come on! you know I was hinting at the Blond jokes that went around and finally died out (I think they died?)~gd

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
No...they never died. My husband is a blonde :D

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grew up in Northern Kentucky, which isn't considered The South by most people in Kentucky. I always assumed I had the typical midwestern non-accent. When I moved to Chicago, people up there said I had a southern accent. Then I moved to Indiana, which is technically north of where I lived in Kentucky, but my neighbors definitely think we are in The South.

Oh, and there is a water tower near where I grew up that is painted with the phrase "Florence Y'all." :D