The difference between the North and the South

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There are places where redneck is considered fighting words, like white trash or the N word. Orignally it just meant someone that worked outside where the southern sun actually turned the neck red. A generation of redneck jokes changed all that. BTW are you Blonde?
I'm a redhead :D . Actually it's all gray now, but the bottle I buy to change that is usually red or redish blonde. And I have never lived in any place where redneck came even close to the n word. Must be a Southern thing :gig
Yep, most of the time (at least in areas other than The South) it seems to be used as a derogatory term to refer to a person that lives in the rural south, and is of meager economic means. I know of areas where the use of the term would be cause for a can of "whup A$$" to be opened.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
k0xxx said:
If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.
So true! :gig I swear people that have never drank milk in their life go to the grocery to get some if there's a storm comin'.
Only true for womenfolk, the men are there for the beer and maybe sanwich bread and lunch meat.(dry county and beer can only be sold within city limits)~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Wifezilla said:
There are places where redneck is considered fighting words, like white trash or the N word. Orignally it just meant someone that worked outside where the southern sun actually turned the neck red. A generation of redneck jokes changed all that. BTW are you Blonde?
I'm a redhead :D . Actually it's all gray now, but the bottle I buy to change that is usually red or redish blonde. And I have never lived in any place where redneck came even close to the n word. Must be a Southern thing :gig
Yep, most of the time (at least in areas other than The South) it seems to be used as a derogatory term to refer to a person that lives in the rural south, and is of meager economic means. I know of areas where the use of the term would be cause for a can of "whup A$$" to be opened.
Around here, a redneck is normally looked at as someone more rural than city, and ready to fight for what they believe in, as well as frugal and making due w/less instead of more. I have a milk crate I bought in Lowe's on the back of my motorcycle, and I have people referring to it as my redneck luggage carrier. It was waaaay cheaper than anything else I could have bought to put on there, and carries more. (If I had a milk crate around here that was still good, I wouldn't have needed to buy one.)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a redneck planter in my backyard. It is growing melons in the top part and zucchini in the bottom. Yeah...it's an old toilet we pulled out when we fixed the bathroom :D