the funny farm, i am back

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we traveled I-80 all the way across Iowa at least 4 times a week. we never were able to stop and site see though. always on the run and you just drive a semi up to most places. there are so many places I would love to go back and see.

I hope to add apple trees next year. total we have 5 pear, 2 cherry, and a peach. I hope to clear a spot on the edge of the woods and add raspberry. maybe even put in a strawberry bed. next year we should have a garden.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we went to Beloit, and Milwaukee about once a month. very pretty to drive up in those areas!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, home for now. but the past couple months hubby has been talking about going back. his old company called him last week and offered him a good amount of money to come back. I really don't want to go again. and I told him if he does, I might ride once in a while, but not full time. the money on the road is soooo much better. he would make about 3X what he makes locally.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got a chance to shut the a/c off for a few days. low last night was 57. so I shut it off and opened the windows. I am wondering if we are going to have an early fall and winter. many of the signs are pointing that way.

I finally moved some of the bigger chicks outside. haven't seen anything on the game cam so hopefully the predators are taken care of. game cam is still running, and trap is still set. this year has been 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

hubbys old job has called him again. I really don't want to go and don't know if I can handle him going again. it is so lonely without him here. it is just me and him now, the kids are all moved out. so I am alone when he is on the road. and I know he worries about me when he is out, and I worry about him. so I don't know what we are going to do. :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
57 is winter temperatures here! LOL I hope that y'all can reach something that works for both of you. How long until retirement? If just a few years it might be worth it to hit the road again. If 10or 15 years, it might be better to just stay home and get the retirement nest ready to live in.

Maybe your husband could go, you could make every other run or maybe go 1-2 times a month with him. Then you could do the things that need done around the home place the rest of the time. Plant fruit and nut trees that will provide fresh food for y'all when retired. Paint the house. Do the upkeep that homes need. Live tight and pay off all bills. That would also be the time to purchase a tractor and implements, with a trailer, for use in retirement. Buy the things needed that you won't be able to afford after you retire.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Sounds like some tough decisions either way. If his job wants him back so bad, is there an option to tell them something like every other week or do runs 3 weeks out of the month? Sounds like he is in a good negotiating position.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We aren't sure yet. He injured his shoulder and no insurance at his current job. So it is hard. As a trucker with a clean record, he can almost write his ticket if he wants to go back on the road.

Thought we were over the coon attacks but we have been visited the last 2 nights. Got 1 chicken. :(

Our internet isn't working right. Turned it on and in 15 seconds it said it used 8.16 gigs.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On the plus side, a guy my husband works with asked if I would trade 3 female bunnies for 1 of my harliquen buck babies. Said sure! I ended up getting 3 new Zealand does and a new Zealand buck, 3 mos old. When a coworker found out we raised rabbits he asked if we wanted 2 California does, and A Flemish X lionhead cross buck. So said sure! So now I need to build more cages. Lol