The Gospel of Consumption

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
And then there are the times you go to the store to get a replacement for something you lost, broke, or wore out. You can't find the item because it has been replaced by something new and improved. New and improved is not always improved.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
And then there are the times you go to the store to get a replacement for something you lost, broke, or wore out. You can't find the item because it has been replaced by something new and improved. New and improved is not always improved.
Especially since I bought it on clearance in the first place so it was already a discontinued item!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
freemotion said:
But even a couple centuries ago, not everyone lived a ss life. Some people were farmers, some bankers, some blacksmiths, etc and many people purchased their daily needs to some extent.
This is a good point. Obviously, there are still people who do these things, but our economy has gotten so out of whack that tons of people don't really do anything 'productive' at their jobs. They sit at a computer and punch numbers in, they answer the phone, they sit in meetings, etc. It's something that has been gnawing at me lately. What will happen to all those people if the economy really collapses and they have to really take care of themselves. Whoever mentioned before about convenience having a cost is totally right. There are many people who have handicapped themselves by not learning useful skills. It's scary how many people I know who think 'making dinner' is taking a frozen dinner out of the freezer.

While I was speaking nostalgically about the 'olden days,' I would definitely not want to go back to them. Hot showers and modern dentistry are 2 things I don't think I'd want to part with! But I do think that people have lost focus on what's really important. AND the satisfaction you can get from doing things yourself! THAT is a definite motivation for me! :)
EXACTLY!

JM Keynes had a concept called the Paradox of Thrift - in which he claimed that if everyone saved money - the economy would be thrown into total chaos - company closures, lay-offs, apocalypse! No...I'm sorry - people always need some goods and services...so it would only be the SUPERFLUOUS and non-productive organizations that would fold up. New opportunities would present themselves, as well, to small businesses as banks could loan against that increasing percentage of investment assets. MAYbe we could even jump off the "job" economy....

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Just my luck........I'm in the mood for a "massage", and all we got are HONEST LMT's. LOL! :lol: LOL! :lol:

JUST KIDDING!!!!:D:D:D
Just a comment....I actually changed my practice to "Women Only" because I got tired of the inquiries....

"Do you do a complete massage?"
"Do I have to have a drape?"
"Can you do the massage while nude?"

I STILL get calls from those who think I'm kidding on the women-only bit ...or who tell me I'm not "allowed" to do that.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Good grief! I have had wonderfully therapeutic massages as b-day gifts from my sweet husband. I had no idea what massage therapists had to put up with! Kudos to you all who stick with it!