The Gun Thread

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My first husband was an avid gun collector. I learned to shoot (pretty well, lol) back in those days. We do have firearms here and I think they are important for this lifestyle. We don't have fancy guns but we have guns that suit the purpose for which they were purchased. We have pig shooting guns, snake shooting guns and self-defense weapons that like to hide behind the closet door and others that like to go for car rides. You're right BB - learning how to safely use a firearm is a skill that is important to most homesteaders.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple, I conseal carry .38 special / .357 magnum 6 shot pistol. My favorite is an old wood stock 16 gauge breach load with rifled barrel for hunting. it's a very versatile gun and shoots slugs to bird shot. It's great for scattering coyotes. Plus I'm a pretty good shot with it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yesterday, after church, it was nice and sunny outside. So, I took apart my Grandfather's .22 Long Rifle Marlin Semi-Automatic. I had only fired it a few times, and I had trouble with it. I found out why. It was well over do a clean up. Lots of residue built up. I had to scrape it out. It took me an hour and a half to get it clean. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Now, I am struggling to get the spring back in. The action fell out of it and you have to press it in a certain way for it to work. Still working that out...
Ha! My son, wife, and I were discussing our small, pitiful arsenal yesterday. Lol

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ha! My son, wife, and I were discussing our small, pitiful arsenal yesterday. Lol
I did the typical 20-something method to solve my problem.... I googled it!! Gun is now fixed!!!

I don't have a lot of guns, but I guess you could say I have several. I have a safe on lay away at TSC right now. I've got enough that I need to put some up.

I also have a Glock 42 I want to sell... if you want to add to your arsenal....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Totally agree. Shotgun is wonderful for self-defense and easy to use.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to shoot and therefore I have had a lot of lady's ask me what gun should they get for self-defense.

I ask are they going to go out and practice with it and get good at shooting and keep practicing regularly or are they going to buy it and stick it in the closet for when the bad-guys show up.

If the answer is "set it on the shelf and forget it" - my answer is always - Get a shotgun. It shoots lots of projectiles, makes a lot of noise when you take it off the shelf and cock it, and you don't have to know how to aim - Just point it in the right direction. That big hole in the end of the gun looks even bigger when it is pointing at you.

Not the answer that they want, but if you are not going to take the time to get comfortable and familiar with a gun, then it is more of a danger to you than having nothing. You would be better with a baseball bat next to the bed.

x2
and even then you will need to know how to operate the shotgun.