The Homesteader's Way of Feeding Chickens

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I got my sprouting seed today. I got the oat, wheat and alfalfa seeds. Should any of these varieties be rationed?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't give wheat to goats - even sprouted wheat. Great for poultry though. :)

Other than that, if you start by supplementing about 1/4 of their feed or less, you'll know how much they'll tolerate. I find our animals will only eat a certain amount of sprouted seed that is mostly seed - they'll eat LARGE amounts of green veggie sized sprouts (like green alfalfa sprouts) if we give it to them.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sadly I dont have goats :hit

But plenty of poultry :weee

Thanks lwheelr youve been great!!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's wrong with giving wheat to goats? I had goats last winter and would grow them wheat grass and they loved it... but I didn't do this as the main source of their diet... it was just an added treat from time to time...

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wheatgrass is ok, as long as it doesn't have seed heads, or the sprouted grain clinging to the bottom. Wheatgrass is grass.

But wheat grains, even sprouted, can bloat goats and cattle, enough to kill them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BB where did you buy your seed? I need to get some. I got lentils from the grocery store...hope they work :D I haven't started much of anything yet...was supposed to, but life has had a different idea here lately :lol: Getting on it now though. Going to start some corn tomorrow, and maybe some BOSS as well. Depends on how many buckets I can find. Wondering out loud, but probably could sprout a variety in cut off gallon jugs right? Like milk jugs, vinegar jugs, cooking oil jugs etc. That actually might be easier hmmmmmm....I have plenty of those ;)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For anyone who needs to order sprouting seed, I order some from WaltonFeed.com. They have a fair assortment of sprouting seed, plus you can order grains in bulk.

They'll ship by UPS pretty much anywhere - it is MUCH less expensive to buy things from them in bags or buckets (not cans), and shipping is WAY less if you order more than 200 lbs.

If you are ordering things in 50 lb bags, it isn't hard to reach 200 lbs shipping weight.

Walton is my primary source for Hard White Wheat, for some other grains, and for beans.

If you order alfalfa seed, remember that a little goes a long way. You sprout between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of it at a time, and that much makes a lot of sprouts.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I got mine from Pinetree seed co. and I have mine in trays. I will get a pic for you tommorow. I mixed oat, wheat and alfalfa seed and layed it fairly think in the soil then covered it up. Then watered it down. And put plastic over if for a greenhouse like effect.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so quick! I will shop around a bit. Just needed a starting point.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I probably didnt order enough seed. But I wasnt allowed to many seeds :rolleyes: