The Homesteader's Way of Feeding Chickens

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
One large rabbit and three smaller ones. But all are standard. The chickens are standard size too. I think I may start out with 6 quarts and see where it goes. The rabbits do get hay.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just ordered some oat, wheat and alfalfa seeds. Now I just have to figure out where and how Im gonna sprout it.

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just fed the girls their first sprouts, it was a hit, they really liked them. The burlap sacks and buckets worked great, at day 4 the grain was good and sprouted, no rancid odor, no additional rinsing, no mold. It literally took a few minutes a day of care at the most.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Can I put the seeds in a mason jar full of water and set it near the window?

Did I miss that entirely?

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, that is the way my gma sprouted for us to eat for years. Use the ring portion of the lid and use an old cleaned pair of panyhose, or cheesecloth at the lid. Rinsing is as easy as filling w/ water "swishing it around" and pouring through the cloth.

If you are going to sprout 6 quarts a day that is a lot of jars?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can do sprouts one of two ways as far as watering them goes:

1. Just put them in whatever, wet them down enough to get them damp, and walk away. This works - if they are on a damp paper towel, or under damp burlap, or whatever, it will work. If you rinse them, drain them, and leave them until the next day to rinse them again, they'll sprout. They will sprout slower this way, but it works.

2. Soak them for about 8 hours, not more than 24 hours (24 is on the long side, optimal is about 8-10). Drain them, and then just rinse them a couple of times a day, or check to ensure that they stay damp.

When I sprout mine in a sprouter system, I only remember to rinse them once a day. It works here - some areas might have more problems with mold rinsing just once a day.

It isn't a picky thing though. They basically just need to stay damp and not get moldy. As long as that happens, any system will work, any schedule is fine, and it is pretty hard to kill them.

They aren't like a souffle, where if a kid runs through the kitchen at the wrong time, it ruins it. Of course, if they are in an open tray, and the kid SNEEZES on it, you will certainly want to rinse again... :)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So what I'm getting from this is: Soak them for 8 -10 hours, then dump water and rinse. At that time, you don't fill with water again right, just keep damp. Is that right? Just want to make sure no one looses their seeds.

Now if you want to ferment, cover with water, put in some whey, and then what?