The Homesteader's Way of Feeding Chickens

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Free.... HELP! :)

I have 80 2 week old chicks, and 20 6 week old chicks. I also have 11 bantams, full grown, and 11 Muscovy ducks.

The ducks get 2 cups a day of the sprouted grain, and it replaces veggies, and reduces their need for feed by about the same amount.

The chickens get 1/2 cup per cage per day (four cages), and it reduces their feed by the same amount. That is slowly increasing as they grow.

The chicks currently get half a cup per day for each brooder with 40 little chicks, and 1 cup a day for the bigger chicks, who are all in the same brooder still because it is way too cold for them to be outside here yet.

So a bucket half full lasts me several days - I start feeding it after two days, and feed it to them until it is gone from that bucket - start another bucket before the first one is gone. Eventually I'll probably go to a 5 bucket rotation system, don't need to yet, but likely to need to within about 2 months as these new chicks grow (and grow, and grow!).

For the goats, about a cup and a half (depending on whether they are milking, pregnant, etc), once a day (fermented grain once a day, sprouts once a day). It offsets regular grain, and directly replaces a cup and a half of dry grain (sprouted grain takes up more room, so it does decrease the cost). I just substitute sprouted or fermented grain for their regular grain, giving them the same volume, and it takes less because it expands, and they get a lot more out of it.

Haven't got the rabbits eating any sprouted grain yet, if I do, it will likely be just wheat and rye, sprouted longer so that it goes green (would have to use trays for that), and mowed off so there are no seeds on it.

I have an old baker's rack - the kind they use in bakeries that are on wheels, with shelves about 4" apart. I put pieces of plywood on about every third shelf, so there is room for light to come in between them, and use those shelves to put the sprout trays on. I just move them up as they grow, so the ones that have sprouted a few days ago are moving up where it is lighter, the newest ones are down where it is darker. Currently, I'm planting the grain sprouts in the trays in dirt, and that is best for rabbits because the greens are better for them than the grains.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Would clover and corn be a good sprouted grain?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
man a whole bucket of sprouts a day? That seems like a lot to me! I have 10 chickens 7 of which are BIG gals! LOL and a quart jar of sprouts is about all they would clean up in a day... of course again this is not my sole means of feed... They have access to all the layer pellets they can eat... and some table scraps when we have them... But If I give them much more than that one jar they waste it...

jars take up much less space than trays when sprouting... ONLY time I use trays is if I want to grow full wheat grass... that way I can clip it and let it grow back a few times...

I always wait till my sprouts are green before I feed them to my animals... Chlorophyl is loaded with ALL kinds of goodness and healing power... I could go all all day about that... But that's the whole reason I even go through the hassle of sprouting... defeats my goal if I feed them before they turn green...

Right after they germinate if you place them in your window they will green up pretty well in a day! sometimes 2 days if it's cloudy out... again this is why I use jars... So Easy to place a jar in the window instead of trying to figure out where to set a bucket... :D

Bee as for Rinsing... I have my jars sitting on the back of my kitchen sink... so when I get up to fix breakfast... I see them there... and give them a quick rinse while running the water waiting for it to get warm to wash my hands or something... Same thing in the evening while fixing diner... it's really not any extra work when done that way...

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Clover is very good sprouted! it's one of my favs for me! hahaha haven't tried corn yet... but plan to the next batch I do! :D

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Would clover and corn be a good sprouted grain?
Have you checked the price of clover seed? Don't know about where you are but pretty pricey here.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Its 6.95 for 1 and a half pounds at Pinetree seeds.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm back! Here is what I am doing right now...and just know that it changes with the seasons and how many birds and what grains I have available and whatever mood I happen to be in and whatever experiment I want to do at the moment....:p

Right now I use the bucket from a long-dead ice cream maker....it is about 3 gallons, maybe? I fill it 2/3 with oats or barley, which is just under four big scoops, the standard squarish plastic feed scoop. I add water an inch or two higher than the grains and let it sit for a day. Then it gets dumped into a draining pail and rinsed and drained again.

The draining pails are four gallon pails that held donut filling. I drilled small holes across the bottom and up one side in a grid about 6" wide by 4" high. My first pails had holes all around the sides, but I couldn't control the draining as much with all those holes and water going in every direction. I have two draining pails.

I sprout until I can just see the sprout coming out, then I feed. I feed a pail for about two days, sometimes less, sometimes more. I feed oats/barley in the morning and whole dry corn in the afternoon. I've noticed that they want less small grains in the hotter, buggier weather and more corn, and the opposite is true right now. They eat a lot in the morning and less at night. But they do go longer without food overnight with the shorter days.

Do some googling on sprouted barley and protein levels....I can't remember what it is, but the change is ENORMOUS at the just-emerging sprout stage.

I am fortunate enough to have a sump hole in my cellar and a sink next to it, so I usually rinse there. We had some problems with critters lately, so until they are all captured and killed, I am using a corner of my very crowded kitchen as my sprouting/fermenting area and have at least 4-5 pails at all times (two pails of corn fermenting for the pigs). I put the draining pail in the kitchen sink to drain or in the tub if I am in a hurry and need my sink for other things, and set it on a bucket lid once it has mostly drained, to catch drips.

Grain comes with its own set of mold spores, so it will mold fairly quickly if not rinsed, at least for me. I have not been able to get large amounts of grain to the green stage, but it is not my goal, my goal is protein and nutrient bioavailability and increase in nutrients and digestibility. I feed lawn hay for greens during the short period that there is no grass poking through the snow in my pasture.

I have three pails going at all times right now, one soaking and two draining. I feed about 35 chickens and two turkeys every morning, and the goats get a total of about 4-5 quarts a day total for the seven goats. More for the lactating doe, some for one that is preggers and three that are still growing but getting bred (including the buckling.)

If I left sacking on grain trays I would definitely have mold here.

I have not been successful in sprouting corn, it takes too long and again, I have a mold issue. If I don't rinse, I get mold or it sours too quickly.

I had a lovely batch of barley that I used for almost a year that didn't have this problem and I could almost get it to the green stage in the bucket, but I gave that up when I couldn't access that source anymore.

I used to throw BOSS in with the small grains but that hasn't been in the budget lately, and I got one VERY moldy batch and that was the last straw....I should try this year's BOSS and see if it is ok.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
How many quarts jars of sprouts would I need to feed 19 chickens, 4 ducks, and 4 Rabbits??

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Full size chickens or bantams? and I assume you have meat rabbits instead of dwarf?

To start out I would try to have 2-3 jars for each day... See what they will eat and work your way up from there... I know with rabbits if they have been on pellets only you have to ease them back into greens or it will upset their tummy... Start them out with a decent size pinch of sprouts each day and work your way up from there... (about a 1/4 of a cup)

I have no clue what the ducks would eat green wise (I haven't had ducks since I was like 7) I would guess they would probably eat the most sprout wise... :hu so I would start them out on a half a jar see if they clean that up and go from there... and then just give the chickens the rest... :D

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ducks can be funny - they are suspicious of everything, and creatures of habit, so they may avoid anything new for a bit. Either mix new stuff in with their current feed, or be patient in introducing it.

I've noticed that some feed grain won't sprout at all - I think some is treated so it won't sprout (usually heat treated). If it doesn't sprout, I'll just toss on some more water and see if it will ferment instead, but I won't buy that brand again, because live foods are just so much better for animals than dead ones.