The Homesteader's Way of Feeding Rabbits

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have a lot of space and I really truly want to plant a lot. Rabbits can apparently eat the stalk I've heard, so that will give me a lot of stuff for them and those seeds would be for everyone. I was thinking my poultry might like a whole sunflower head as a toy suspended in the coop in winter to keep them occupied. But my rabbits like the seeds very well. The breeder had been giving them a "pinch" every other day and I've kept it up. It is supposed to be fattening so just a little.

But yea, that should be an easy thing for a lot of us to grow!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ive been doing some research and I have found that the chickens and rabbits can be fed from the same kind of plants but never the same part of the plant. My chooks love the seeds but if I put any green thing in the hutch the buns want it.....

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive been doing some research and I have found that the chickens and rabbits can be fed from the same kind of plants but never the same part of the plant. My chooks love the seeds but if I put any green thing in the hutch the buns want it.....
We've noticed this too. Same with goats - we can grow a lot of the same stuff, but feed it differently to the different animals.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The rabbits I have found actually like the "scrappy" part....

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool thing is that you can grow radishes, and feed the bottoms to the goats, the tops to the rabbits. Same with turnips, carrots, and lots of other root crops. Or you eat part, and one of your animals eats the other part.

I am enjoying this thread, finding out that rabbits can eat a lot of garden scrap I did not think of.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah it and its sister thread is very good.........

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I didnt think so but I thought I would ask.

Latest posts