the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your worms kind of intrigue me. Maybe not enough to start an indoor worm farm though, lol! I do get a kick when I turn over some garden soil and see big, fat healthy worms.

i have some impressive looking woodlice too in those buckets. i didn't know they could get so big. i guess with plenty of food and no competition or predators they beef up pretty nicely.

you can gush about new lambs while i gush over little creatures like these (not my pic):

pillbugs-Armadillidium-vulgare-babies-juvenile-Buss.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
i have some impressive looking woodlice too in those buckets. i didn't know they could get so big. i guess with plenty of food and no competition or predators they beef up pretty nicely.

you can gush about new lambs while i gush over little creatures like these (not my pic):

pillbugs-Armadillidium-vulgare-babies-juvenile-Buss.jpg
You make me want to grow mealworms for my chickens. That and the price of freeze dried mealworms makes me want to grow them. I think I'm over the ick factor, but I'm not yet 100% okay with having them in my house.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm on the verge with mealworms for my chickens, too. They don't get out of the plastic containers but, still that "ick factor". 🤪 I can handle a few but, what I need for 60 hens is way more than a few! But they are so expensive I'm working on my tolerance levels. :lol: they really love them!! And, egg production goes up.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No offense @flowerbug but I would rather buy than grow my own. I get mine here for my chickens

i'm not growing mealworms, just earthworms and whatever else happens to be in the buckets along with them. :)

i used to know someone who raised worms for sale and he also got into raising crickets and other insects for selling to people who kept frogs, lizards, etc. as pets, he made good money doing it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yesterday i got my ancient e-mail recovery filed (and deleted a lot of things i didn't need). that was a not-so-pleasant side track from what i really wanted to get done but in those old e-mails are notes of seed trades between me and people when i started out bean growing in 2010-2012 era and that is when i kept poor records of what i got from where. now i can get back to actually figuring out the when and what i got parts and update my lists. not likely to get much done today, but at least i'm ready when i can get back to it. :) over 3300 e-mails.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
yesterday i got my ancient e-mail recovery filed (and deleted a lot of things i didn't need). that was a not-so-pleasant side track from what i really wanted to get done but in those old e-mails are notes of seed trades between me and people when i started out bean growing in 2010-2012 era and that is when i kept poor records of what i got from where. now i can get back to actually figuring out the when and what i got parts and update my lists. not likely to get much done today, but at least i'm ready when i can get back to it. :) over 3300 e-mails.
you'll feel so much better when it's done!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yesterday i finally was able to talk to the local library director and it happened that a board member was there too so that was good. i've been thinking of starting a gardening group that meets once a month and we can talk about whatever people want and also do a mini-seed-swap. so that is now on my monthly schedule.

i'm not expecting a lot of people since the first group will be showing up in just a few weeks and word won't be out for long, but at the worst i can sit there and read for a few hours. oh darn! :) i can do that anywhere.

also there's a presentation coming up by a localish guy that does seed saving and talking about gardens. i've been looking forwards to this for a while since it was scheduled last year but then cancelled when the virus crud hit. so i can also promote his event if anyone shows up to mine.

Latest posts