the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's even more impressive then! That's a lot of work.

it was, and still is, we always say it is our life to move rocks around here. so many have been moved multiple times. :) good exercise until you drop them on your feet or smash a finger.

at one time i thought it would be really interesting to learn how to split field stones. i found out that i'd rather not. :) hahaha...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a few pictures... :)

bumblebees first! :) :) :)

feeding on the bunching onions

DSC_20200613_121414-0400_463_BumbleBees_thm.jpg

and on the creeping thyme

DSC_20200613_121636-0400_468_BumbleBee_thm.jpg

a decorative bit of charred stump

DSC_20200613_121925-0400_471_Charred_thm.jpg

and the north garden that's just been planted and still needs some weeding around the edges, but nice to have it back in production again this season at last. we'll see how the critters do...

DSC_20200613_121528-0400_465_Weeding_Planting_thm.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My hubby would request Shaum Torte - crunchy egg white meringues, topped with fresh mashed strawberries and fresh whipped cream on top. The strawberries around here are about 2 weeks behind, and the farm I pick at had winter damage also, so the owner is not sure how much of a crop they will have either. I hope to get some strawberries this year, but depends on when they are ready and when I have my surgery, they may coincide...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My hubby would request Shaum Torte - crunchy egg white meringues, topped with fresh mashed strawberries and fresh whipped cream on top. The strawberries around here are about 2 weeks behind, and the farm I pick at had winter damage also, so the owner is not sure how much of a crop they will have either. I hope to get some strawberries this year, but depends on when they are ready and when I have my surgery, they may coincide...

i had to look up Schaum Torte. egg whites, sugar, vanilla, bake low and long to dry them out. we had some other cookies here like those which we called Angel Wings. anything with sugar in it is good to me. :)

these days i would like some cream puffs with strawberries on top. i'm really a custard lover too so things with cream fillings of most kinds i do like.

i hope you can get some strawberries this season! fresh strawberries from a good local grower are so nice in season. i have a really hard time appreciating those imported in the off-season - frozen are about the best in flavor we've been able to come up with.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree, @flowerbug if they're not dead ripe and still warm from the sun when I get them, they're not worth eating. Frozen or freeze dried isn't bad though.

i opened up the last jar of freezer jam to make sure the lid had remained sealed and all was still good. tasted just as good as the day i made it a few years ago. i add extra lemon juice to the recipe, otherwise it is as the pectin instructions had it down. now i wonder if the pectin i have is any good but i guess i will find that out when i open the packages. i'm pretty sure that i don't really need the pectin anyways now as i don't use this as jam or care about it not being set or not - nor does the other primary consumer... :) buying the pectin is a major expense too so if i can avoid using it and the taste still works then doing without will be ok with me.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a recipe for strawberry jam that used a granny smith apple instead of pectin - just grate it up and add it to the strawberries. It ended up with a decent thickness for spreading. Apples have a lot of pectin, especially crab apples.

Editted to add: granny smith apples have a lot of pectin, otherwise use under-ripe apples. The more ripe the apple, the less pectin it has.

Last edited: