the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i should have done full before and after pictures of the house staining project. it was pretty bad in some places. while i'm thinking of it i'm going out to take some pics of where things are at now...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok, now off of staining for the next day or two or perhaps into the weekend, we'll see what the weather and my body say about it all next time i can get back to this.

rain is forecast for this evening and tonight and then cooler for the next few days and i'm not going to be staining in windy and 51F conditions even if the sun is out. no idea if the forecast is actually going to be right but it looks good after this bit of rain until Tuesday night. i can get most of the front and north side done next day i get out so that just leaves all the back and some areas out front around the garage door and such that will take time to do for sure, but not nearly as much time since there's the stone wall and the garage door and front door i won't have to do.

what takes all the time is the edges of the boards and cutting in where the roller won't fit. once that work is done rolling two coats of stain takes only a few hours. all the prep work takes 5-hrs per wall at least.

coming along... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with the staining made it to around the back side of the house where the patio doors and a few windows are at so there is that much less that will need to be done. it is still going to be a while before i finish it all. i figure at least seven more days minimum but that depends upon what other issues i find that have to be dealt with and those that can wait until next summer plus i'm not too likely to do the eaves as that is not going to take too long but it is so protected that it's not the same priority as the rest of the surfaces that are more exposed to the weather - a few days for those next summer - a lot less prep and work as it is mostly flat and not as much cutting in the edges.

one more nice day tomorrow and we'll see how much i can get done then the rains return for a few days and cooler weather and then perhaps one more day nice enough before yet more rains come along again. it is that time of the year.

not much gardening getting done or gardens put up for winter. i'm sure Mom doesn't want to look at this stuff all winter but i can work on some of this during the cooler mixed weather days. it's another mystery as to what can get done when. :) just how it goes. good thing that Mom is understanding. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, i'm getting there but a lot more to go. progress every day i can get out there. 5-6hrs today was plenty. my legs and feet are tired but by morning i'm all ready to go again. with rains tonight, tomorrow and into Thursday i get some time off and will appreciate it. :) may have to re-read a favorite book and i can get back to shelling more beans...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother you may have got your wish this morning? :)

chances of rain again here today and tomorrow so i'm not sure i'm doing anything outside. if i can get motivated enough and shell some more beans this morning i'd have two bags of bean pods to bury out in the garden someplace, but with only having two bags i still have room here so it's not a requirement... yet... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope. :mad: It went all around us. DH hit it when going to town this morning - just a mile from the house. It got dark. It got loud. It got cool. But, it didn't get wet. At least not here.. ARGH!

It may reform this evening....also have chances coming up Sunday/Monday. :fl

hope it comes through! we have chances of rain and it is cold out there today so i get another day to give my feet and legs a rest. then back at it Saturday and Sunday which should let me finish two more walls - i hope. if i can manage that then there is only one more full wall to do and then parts of other things that still need to be done, but i'm not sure when the weather is going to let me do that as the next week is cold and chances of rain most of the week. we'll see how it goes. :)