the little wild kingdom

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That looks really nice.
Do you put landscape fabric under your gravel for the paths?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My garden is just dirt & grass.. No way I can handle gravel, too.

In fact, I wish my gravel driveway looked that good! :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That looks really nice.
Do you put landscape fabric under your gravel for the paths?

there are a few layers of thick mil black plastic and weed barrier under there. if you put down the gravel too thin it will sprout weed seeds very easily so you have to put it down thick enough that the weed seeds fall through and then won't germinate (because it is too dark), except for morning glory seeds we don't have much else that will sprout in there as long as we don't spill dirt on it.

it has been in place long enough that in a few spots it should be taken back up again and rinsed to remove the dirt, but that isn't happening any time soon. i have other things to do for the next few years...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My garden is just dirt & grass.. No way I can handle gravel, too.

In fact, I wish my gravel driveway looked that good! :lol:

i would prefer no gravel at all. it makes a mess of things when it gets mixed with the dirt. i can spend many hours picking rocks out of gardens.

my first plan was to move the entire pathway over to cover where the pea gravel is now so it would all be the limestone, but Mom didn't want me to do that so this is how it is for now. i may move it all over later if i stay longer as then i can do what i want, but we'll see how this goes. i'm sure it's going to be sprouting some weeds and mushrooms in that pea gravel. and the deer and animals will run through it all too and mess it up, so that is why i had to get out and get pictures before it gets mixed up again...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
last night finished up shelling out the dry beans i already had picked. this morning did some first sorts of box tops to make more room for what i'll be picking this week. starting this afternoon. i will take a break for a bit now. looks like a nice day out there. :)

my favorite time of the year is the dry bean harvest. shelling, sorting and all the OCD stuff that my tactile and visual brain enjoys. it took me some time to get it explained to Mom in a way that she understood, but she really likes picking rocks at the beach when we go so i told her that this is my way of picking stones even when we're not at the beach. :) :) :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
did a show and tell this morning of the beans i've picked and gone through a rough first sort on. since that moved all of those boxes out of the way i could get to the other layer of boxes on that futon so i could move them up to some other places out of the way where i can get at them later if i need to. then i moved those boxes back onto the futon so now i know where things are at and the bulk beans are on the bottom so they can still dry the boxes on top are cross stacked to let air get in.

picked a few melons and fed those scraps to the worm farm and took that as a good time to reorganized my room even more and and so i will have six buckets of bean pods and paper shreddings to go out and get buried in the garden i'm weeding.

kinda feel a nap coming on though... :)