the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rains did my watering for me today so i was able to wake up, attend to a few morning things and then go back to sleep for an hour or so, then i was good for the rest of the day puttering around and catching up on some indoor things (shredding papers, looking at a few worm buckets, watering the amaryllis plants, putting away some canning jars, etc.).

one time when the storms were coming it looked like it might be more lightning and heavy storms so i shut down and unplugged the computer equipment from the electrical wall sockets but also the network cable from the dish that picks up the signal from the radio tower because i really don't want to be zapped by lightning and even if i have surge protectors i still don't really trust them. turned out to be not much other than rain and so i got back to normal a bit later.

tomorrow i hope to get back to some planting outside even if it might be muddy in spots.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we had a Momma duck and a short line of babies behind her wandering through yesterday, so for a few minutes we had some fun watching them, but then they had to figure out that the fence was blocking them and they had to figure out how to get back out again (the way they came in).

need a shower and then gotta get back outside to plant some more.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chance of slight rain this afternoon and again tomorrow morning. tomorrow morning would be perfect as then i'd not have to water all my bean plantings.

the tomatoes and peppers get watered this morning when i head out.

maybe four or five more rounds of planting beans yet, but none of that is happening today. after i get everything watered i'll have to mow and also get a large patch of tall grass taken down. that's going to take some time because i can only do 1/4 cuts to get through it, and also the thistle patch i've been keeping cut back to the ground will also need it and that takes about a half hour too. i'll be wiped out by the time i'm done.

beans are sprouting though so it's all going ok. at least other than the goundhog family nosing around. probably going after the strawberries. i made sure to pick them yesterday to remove the temptations for them being inside the fence. just caught them yesterday about noon coming through the fence and chased them off. will have to keep my eyes peeled and the air rifle handy when i go out just in case. an entire family of them can raze those gardens... :( and i sure don't want them around during tomato ripening time.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
three refills on the mower. got it all done. today is day off (rain this morning and some might hit again in a little bit). i can use a day off to recover. if it had been slightly warmer i'd have never got it done. so glad to have all that tall grass cut back. this will make it a bit harder for the groundhog family to raid the gardens if there is the open area and no place for them to hide...

found a three point deer antler in the tall grass. did not think it would be so heavy. i can see why it would be carved into a knife handle.

good day to catch up on indoor chores, may take a nap...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we sure got rain this morning, woke me up with all the thunder and lightning. no hail that i heard and a quick survey of the gardens this morning it looked all ok. ditches are about half full and the rain guage said two inches but i'm pretty sure we got more than that based upon the puddles.

very heavy rains, but i think it rained long enough to give us a good soaking. i don't have to water this morning! :)

turned on the AC to get the humidity out of the house before it gets hotter later. much easier to keep it cool than to bring it down from hot. we've both put on our warmer clothes because at 69F it feels brrrr!

since i was up late and then woke up really early i'm going back to sleep for a while...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Garden Club meeting today, one regular was planning on coming so i was glad to be there and then the other regular also showed up. so we got caught up and right on the dot at 3pm we'd gotten everything talked about and we were all done. i normally stick around for longer just in case someone else wanders in, but today i was ready to be back home and working on my projects that are sitting here staring at me...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i sure won't be doing any gardening in the mud today, we had yet another hard downpour early this morning. just a bit of hail. the temperature is moderate for today instead of shake and bake. humidity is.

i'll be able to weed some pathways and mulch areas. there's really never any lack of projects around here that could use some effort.

leak in new spot (probably a popped nail pushed up a shingle) and a bit in the previous leak spot. sent a message to the roofing guy...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
foggy morning, but not enough to keep the cardinal from singing up a storm. might literally be the truth too as there is rain in the forecast for later on and even a flood watch for this evening and overnight.

i might be able to get out and do some trimming and weeding from the pathways but i won't be walking in any gardens as they are mostly muddy or too wet and it won't be very good for the gardens either to walk on them when they are this wet.

no more planting for a few more days at least... not sure i'm going to get more done or not any time soon. it's ok, i'm happy working on projects indoors too in this humidity.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
still too muddy for much gardening, but we did mow today. i got a few soakers. tomorrow should be clear and no more rain perhaps until Tuesday night. if i'm lucky i can get a few hours of weeding done someplace...