THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I sowed a bed of carrots and lettuce today. Our onions are 3 inches high. We are gonna plant peas and more onions this week sometime! :woot

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I sowed a bed of carrots and lettuce today. Our onions are 3 inches high. We are gonna plant peas and more onions this week sometime! :woot
Hooray!!!
:weee

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Gardenin is upon us! :woot
Not quite, but it's getting close here. I'm just being teased with my little planter

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am frustrated with my progress or lack thereof. It has rained every stinking day I have had time to go till. :th The back yard is so wet out by the spring we almost have a pond :( In this clay, no way we can work the ground yet. I may be getting a later start thanI had hoped for.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
With the timing of personal things going on this spring, I may wait to set my seedlings until the week of the 21st. A little late, but it's been so wet here (2x the yearly average for snow), I think I'm going to be later anyways. :hu

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
With the timing of personal things going on this spring, I may wait to set my seedlings until the week of the 21st. A little late, but it's been so wet here (2x the yearly average for snow), I think I'm going to be later anyways. :hu
Actually I think the whole Eastern half of the country is in the same boat on that one :/

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
got my seeds in the mail yesterday!!! :woot

got out my little window starters to get it ready for starting seeds and the side is broke in two places on one and like three little holes in the bottom of the other one. so dad put some electrical tape and seal-all on them. tomarrow gonna fill em with water to see if they sealed up.

bought 40 pounds of potting soil today! :ya

finally worked out what seeds need started inside now, in the greenhouse later, in the ground.

anyone grow turnips or parsnips? i'm growing them for the goats and to taste a few, but mostly for the goats. i think i'm gonna plant some this spring and some in late summer. that way i can feed some this summer and fall-winter.

my lettuce and radishes in the windowbox are not doing good :/ they are sooo short and only have their first two true leaves and they dont stand up. they are all layed down with just the leaves up off the soil a bit. and my tiny leaf lettuce... there are like five leaves on the plants but they are thin as a strand of hair and they lay down too. :( i had them in the window above the heat vent so that the air flow would strengthen the stems but i guess it didnt do anything.
i was thinking i should just pull them out and feed em to the goats. its all muddy and they are dying for something green. i think i'm gonna do that...

anyone have any ideas of how i could keep my 5x5x6.5 tall greenhouse from freezing at night? without electricity? its out in the garden and too far for a cord.

unpatiently waiting for warm weather :rant :somad :barnie :th

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:idunno When starting plants, I was always told to keep the seedlings out of a draft - the draft dried them out. Once they start to grow, be careful of how you water them (not directly).

Turnips are an "acquired" taste for some. The greens are great when they are young and tender (with a little ham or bacon).

Plastic black containers full of water (in the sun) with help keep things warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.