THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
:ya

I COUNTED EIGHT ASPARAGUS SPEARS POPPING THEIR LITTLE TOPS OUT OF THE SOIL THIS AFTERNOON!!!! This was just on one of the plants!!!!!

:weee :weee
:woot

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It's pouring rain again tonight. There was a break in the rain this afternoon and I saw the hens out in the garden in a canoe.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The stevia is now poking up in it's little pot, looking into transplanting the tomatoes into something bigger until the weather gets better.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have 14 squash plants out, about 100 beans, and uh....17?ish pumpkins :D And I started some more peppers and tomatoes. Not sure how many will come up though.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ahh, I forgot about this thread!! Ok.

April 9th, I started seeds inside. Following got planted:

33 Tomato Mariana (paste tom)
15 Grape Tomatos
15 Cherry Tomatos
6 pickling cukes
6 Rosa Bianca Eggplants
6 Bush Baby Zukes (mainly for the ducks)
6 watermelon (sugar baby)
6 Nadia eggplants
6 Brocolli (Need to replant, they got leggy and fell right over!)
6 Spaghetti Squash
6 Diva Cukes
18 Sweet Red Pepper (Carmen)
30 Tomato German Giants
18 Hot Ancho Chile Peppers
6 Brussel Sprouts (same as broccolli, didn't expect them to germinate that fast!)

Stuff kinda got leggy, but over all it looks good. The squashes/watermelon are kinda getting leggy, but I think burying their stems will help. I am trying desperately to stop them from getting leggy...but oh well.
I also plan on picking the strongest seedlings and/or giving some away. I simply do NOT have room for 90+ tomato plants! (I wish I did, I could easily put them up for canning, I am Italian after all ;) .. )

On 4/17/11 I planted two rows of onion plants I picked up from Home Depot...I would say maybe 60ish plants? I'm calling them my baby bringer onions, as the next day I went into labor!!

4/19/11 - Had a baby ;)

4/24/11
Dried up enough to throw some seeds in the ground! I planted in bush plantings:

Carrots- Mokum (Early variety)
Radishes- Watermelon, Easter Egg, D'avignon (I was only going to plant one variety, but figured why not a mixture of the three? That would be more fun :) ..)
Spinach- Corvair variety
Arugula
Pok Choy (Joi Choi) whatever you want to call it ;)
In the back I planted 6 Sugar Snap pea plants (Sugar Ann Variety)

We have rain all the this week, so until that stops I have another 60ish onions to go into the ground, and once I find my mesculin mix I will do a large patch of that. I also have some more seeds to start, I've just been busy!!

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oooh! BABY!!! :love congrats!

over the last few days i've had to replant all of my flats because i had planted them and put them straight in the greenhouse...
some little creature with the munchies ate all of the seeds :barnie
so now i have 7 flats in the dining room window.
planted carrots, radishes, and turnips straight into the garden a bit ago... nothing going on there... getting kinda worried that the rain carried all the seeds away :hit
my lime tree is doing much, much better :ya
got 2 pots of comfrey plants (and one that i think i killed), one pot of walking onions, 12 tomatoes/peppers (markers got lost so i dont know wich are which yet), 3 window boxes of daffodils, one pot of mystery flowers (dug em out the yard and have no idea what it is yet),...
got half the garden fenced in...

soooo much to do, so little time... :th Zzzzz...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
oooh! BABY!!! :love congrats!

over the last few days i've had to replant all of my flats because i had planted them and put them straight in the greenhouse...
some little creature with the munchies ate all of the seeds :barnie
so now i have 7 flats in the dining room window.
planted carrots, radishes, and turnips straight into the garden a bit ago... nothing going on there... getting kinda worried that the rain carried all the seeds away :hit
my lime tree is doing much, much better :ya
got 2 pots of comfrey plants (and one that i think i killed), one pot of walking onions, 12 tomatoes/peppers (markers got lost so i dont know wich are which yet), 3 window boxes of daffodils, one pot of mystery flowers (dug em out the yard and have no idea what it is yet),...
got half the garden fenced in...

soooo much to do, so little time... :th Zzzzz...
:frow Long time no chat, how's everything going?

Bummer on your providing the buffet!

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ya, buffet for sure with all them seeds.
pulled two rolls of fence over to the garden behind the gator...
i hate that thing... :somad

gonna put that up once dad gets up from his nap... if he ever gets up from his nap... :barnie

gotta ask my aunt if i can borrow her tiller b/c i was using my pappa's but it stopped working... need to get the grain area tilled.
the "grain area" will have indian corn, quinoa, and amaranth growing in it. gonna plant em in hills and have my dry beans grow up the stalks. and gonna have my pumpkins grow between the hills, along the ground. native american style.

got some herbs coming up in the window.
planted my little packet of quinoa in a flat and it looks like purple grass right now.

got my greenbean and pea seeds in cups of water and gonna plant them tomarrow.

i have about a dozen radish seedlings come up in the garden... a little disappointed in how few there are...

carrots arent up yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.