THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I'm debating whether or not to try some early corn seed and replanting. The late corn hasn't started up yet, so I have to devise something to protect it.

It happened during the day, so I'm guessing crows or Alice (one of the hens) who got out today....

Long story short, I'm taking the afternoon off to go pick strawberries with the kids tomorrow, so I'll have a decision made and done tomorrow night on what to do with the corn.
REPLANT for sure! And protect it ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
e6926de7.jpg

My first slicing mater....almost ready, just a few more long grueling days! :woot

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
Dace said:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/Dacec2/e6926de7.jpg

My first slicing mater....almost ready, just a few more long grueling days! :woot
what a beauty! :drool
Yeah Dace, cool! :thumbsup

WBF, that is what a picture of a tomato looks like. :plbb
:lol: Yeah jamie..mine is in the dehydrator :/ TOTALLY forgot the dang pic. It was small so I just decided to dehydrate the silly thing this morning with some other things that I needed to dry, like some of my thyme and oregano and a few apples that were on the verge of going bad. So..sue me I guess :p

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
TR planted sweet corn over a week ago and then 90% of the rest of the garden planted on Monday.

Getting the garden spot ready this year was a challenge in itself. The area had to be all hand-dug because of the Delaware-sized rocks and chunks of concrete that were 6-inches down. This is the second year for this garden spot, and the amount of rock dug up was another wheelbarrow full *an old dairy farm). .. We don't talk about how the landlord suggested the spot and then wrecked his tiller while working the soil last year when a piece of piping wrapped around the tines and the engine died.

Starting seeds 6 weeks before frost did not work for us like it usually does; mostly because of the deluge of rain we got... wet flooded soil, and containers. The last veg and herb plants in containers finally surrendered to death a week ago.

We got the plants from our friend B who owns a local greenhouse. I think she heard about our garden woes this year because she barely charged us for the plants.

6 Amish paste with buds
6 Polish paste with buds
8 beefsteak-style w/tomatoes started
6 cherry-style tomatoes (red, chocolate, and yellow) with buds
8 sweet bell pepper plants with buds
8 sweet basil
2 sage
2 parsley
2 different nastursium varieties flowering
2 buttercup winter squash with buds
2 yellow summer squash with buds
4 burpless cucumbers with flowers

We still have some more stuff to get into the garden - potatoes, more herbs and we will try to plant lettuce, Swiss chard under the shade of the tomatoes once the plants are a bit larger. On the lookout for replacement aloe (for the house) and rosemary (in the garden in summer, winters indoors), as both died this year, the bad gardener who lives here (me) forgot to bring them inside during previously mentioned deluge. :he

Today we got our first ripe mulberry....I'm officially calling it a harvest! :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
keljonma said:
TR planted sweet corn over a week ago and then 90% of the rest of the garden planted on Monday.

Starting seeds 6 weeks before frost did not work for us like it usually does; mostly because of the deluge of rain we got... wet flooded soil, and containers. The last veg and herb plants in containers finally surrendered to death a week ago.
Yeppers, same here.

keljonma said:
We got the plants from our friend B who owns a local greenhouse. I think she heard about our garden woes this year because she barely charged us for the plants.

6 Amish paste with buds
We still have some more stuff to get into the garden - potatoes, more herbs and we will try to plant lettuce, Swiss chard under the shade of the tomatoes once the plants are a bit larger. On the lookout for replacement aloe (for the house) and rosemary (in the garden in summer, winters indoors), as both died this year, the bad gardener who lives here (me) forgot to bring them inside during previously mentioned deluge. :he

Today we got our first ripe mulberry....I'm officially calling it a harvest! :lol:
Absolutely love those Amish Paste's, but they seemed to come in later that my other tomatoes. I'd be interested in seeing how that goes for you this year.

Good luck on the potatoes, I've planted twice now with no success yet. I have a line on some mint if you're interested (a friend is moving and is giving it away). I have a container pot of it on the patio and she said to come and take all I wanted.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We've had good luck with the Amish paste in the past. I think the polish are my favorite though.

ETA: I'd take mint over ground ivy anyday! :lol:

Would you like some chocolate mint, FJ? :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
keljonma said:
We've had good luck with the Amish paste in the past. I think the polish are my favorite though.

:hu more details, please....I am the only one in the house that likes that combination.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
keljonma said:

:hu more details, please....I am the only one in the house that likes that combination.
I have a chocolate mint plant. It smells divine and is wonderful with fruit desserts. ;) Like all mints, it grows like a weed.

ETA: this isn't where I got my plant, but it shows a pic and tells about it.

http://www.localharvest.org/chocolate-mint-plant-C8628

Status
Not open for further replies.