Status
Not open for further replies.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
To date, I have harvested:

1lb assorted radishes (= 3 bunches)

That's it lol.

I am going to have to buy plants this year :( I am sooo bummed. My bean plants should be okay, and maybe my cuke plants I can save...everything else is done for. I am gonna need peppers, toms and eggplants :( Oh well, all I am really out is my tom seeds, as I planted most if not all. Oh well, you live and learn. I will probably "play" this winter, and figure out what the right formula is for setting seeds so I won't have this problem next year.

I am allowing about 3-4 plants of my easter egg radishes to go to seed, and that will re-coup the "cost" of my tom seeds. I'm bummed, but I don't view it as too much of a cost loss. Which is good. I'm still really bummed.

Did I mention I'm bummed?!?!? :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
:/ uh, I need help. :p I just got home and brought with me 36 plants of assorted pepper varieties. They were in good shape and a decent price. I can't just "stop and look". I still need to go to another greenhouse where they have my Thai chili peppers (I have folks from work who want some, so I MUST go there this weekend). Tomatoes? replacement cabbage. They are calling to me :th
If you mean "help" as in directions to another greenhouse...google is your friend :lol: 36 peppers? Wow.

I am getting carrots, cayenne peppers, green tomatoes, a few peas, a few potatoes that I dug because I wanted that contaner for something else :D and a couple blueberries, loads of turnip greens, and that's about it. Oh, and I'm getting a headache :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
FarmerJamie said:
:/ uh, I need help. :p I just got home and brought with me 36 plants of assorted pepper varieties. They were in good shape and a decent price. I can't just "stop and look". I still need to go to another greenhouse where they have my Thai chili peppers (I have folks from work who want some, so I MUST go there this weekend). Tomatoes? replacement cabbage. They are calling to me :th
If you mean "help" as in directions to another greenhouse...google is your friend :lol: 36 peppers? Wow.

I am getting carrots, cayenne peppers, green tomatoes, a few peas, a few potatoes that I dug because I wanted that contaner for something else :D and a couple blueberries, loads of turnip greens, and that's about it. Oh, and I'm getting a headache :lol:
No, I need a hotline I can call when I get the urge to buy "just a few more plants". I KNOW where all the local greenhouses are. :D The flower beds are looking like prime candidates if I can't get the garden in shape....

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with my "realistic" seed list. I'm over 71 dollars already. :O

It's so hard to choose! Somebody look at this list and suggest what else I might need:

SEED LIST for 2011 GARDEN

Chilies:
Cayenne Long Thin $3.25
Jalapeno $3.25
Anaheim $3.25

Capsicum:
Banana $3.25
California Wonder $3.25

Corn:
Golden Bantam $3.25

Tomato:
Cherry Mix $3.25 (cherry mix) [eating]
Ky1 $3.25 (medium round fruit) [preserves, sauces, pastes]
Thai Pink Egg $3.25 (cherry type fruit) [eating]
Black From Tula $3.25 (Large, flattened fruit) [eating]
Cherokee Purple $3.25 (medium size fruit) [slicing, salads, cooked, sauces]
Grosse Lisse $3.25 (large fruit) [eating cooking]

Zuchini:
Heirloom Mix $3.25

Watermelon:
Sugar Baby $3.25

Bush Beans:
Cherokee Wax $3.25 (yellow)
IDelight $3.25 (green)
Royal Burgundy $3.25 (purple)

Basil:
Thai $3.25
Genovese Giant $3.25
Large Sweet Italian $3.25

Pumpkin:
Waltham Butternut $3.25
Sugar Pie $3.25

My realistic list keeps getting more unrealistic as I go along. :barnie

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you like carrots, peas, onions, cucumber, lettuce, radish, beets, turnip, or other herbs like sage, tarragon, marjoram/oregano, rosemary, and dill?

Seeds are a money hit when you get them all at once, that's why I started back in February with ordering from one seed company, then picked up two more batches in March and April before planting--spreads the cost out some.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Do you like carrots, peas, onions, cucumber, lettuce, radish, beets, turnip, or other herbs like sage, tarragon, marjoram/oregano, rosemary, and dill?

Seeds are a money hit when you get them all at once, that's why I started back in February with ordering from one seed company, then picked up two more batches in March and April before planting--spreads the cost out some.
I have onions and radish in the garden now (non heirloom, i think), so I wasn't going to get those until later (in which I'll find heirloom varieties), but you're right, I need to add carrots to that list. I have a package of alderman climbing peas (heirloom) and a package of snow peas (not sure if they're a hybrid or what) but is there another kind of pea you might suggest? I don't mind shelling or anything.

I need to add the heirloom beet mix and sugar beets to the list, as well. I have several lettuce varieties, including one heirloom (Amish Deer Tongue Lettuce, just starting to come up!) as well as wild rocket, and handful of herbs (oregano, marjoram, parsley, sage, and thyme). FIL has a large rosemary bush. I would like to find French tarragon though, as well as dill.

*wanders off to scribble more list items down*

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
nice list Neko-chan!

Dace, great, but you're killing me. :thumbsup

I thought I was in for problems today, it rained about 11, I come inside and look at the weather radar, and the only green is this little blob over us, not any rain to be seen anywhere in NE Ohio!!! :he It cleared out quickly.

The potatoes and stuff I planted in the big garden before the monsoon, had rotted from the water, so I tilled that area up again (have three volunteer melon, squash in there :hu , so I tilled around them. The stuff in the small garden - beets, melons, squash, and sunflowers is doing well.

Got all of the maters planted (about 32 or so) and the peppers I started from seed (about 18 survived). I still have my assorted 36 peppers I bought on impulse to plant yet. Had enough seed potato left to plant one whole row of taters. :barnie

So, the question before the committee, what should I plant (it's June 4th and late for a lot of things). I have about a 15 x 35 area that has nothing in it.

ideas?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
moolie said:

I have onions and radish in the garden now (non heirloom, i think), so I wasn't going to get those until later (in which I'll find heirloom varieties), but you're right, I need to add carrots to that list. I have a package of alderman climbing peas (heirloom) and a package of snow peas (not sure if they're a hybrid or what) but is there another kind of pea you might suggest? I don't mind shelling or anything.

I need to add the heirloom beet mix and sugar beets to the list, as well. I have several lettuce varieties, including one heirloom (Amish Deer Tongue Lettuce, just starting to come up!) as well as wild rocket, and handful of herbs (oregano, marjoram, parsley, sage, and thyme). FIL has a large rosemary bush. I would like to find French tarragon though, as well as dill.

*wanders off to scribble more list items down*
For peas I've always planted "Lincoln Homestead" until last year when I started to get more into heirloom varieties, because it's the most common variety sold at the garden centres here. They always did well, and didn't mind some summer heat.

This year I purchased "Summer Pea" (listed as Certified Organic. Great shelling bush pea. High yields. Withstands extended summer heat. Self-supporting.) So we'll see what that one does. I still have some Lincoln seeds left too but haven't planted any this year.

You didn't ask, but I also recommend the Nantes and Chantennay type carrots--these are the more tubular and less pointy carrots. We find them sweeter/more tasty and they are good keepers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.