THE OFFICIAL GARDENING AND PRESERVING CHALLENGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey all!

It seems I fell off the face of the planet into the abyss called "Going back to work" lol. My goal of getting the garden planted before going back, was sort of met. Meaning I got half of it done. Threw those plants into the ground and, here I sit.

Nurseries around us have NO plants. The cold weather late in the season decemated their stock, so no one has anything. Still! You would have thought they would get a new shipment in, but noooo!

Oh well, harvested another 6oz of radishes (last for spring) making a total of 4 bunches
Also harvested 5oz of baby bok choy

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Peppers :woot

Picked 3 nice Anaheims and 1 Serrano....fired them up n the stove for a nice toasty flavor, and I am going to make a cheese ball with some of my freshly made chevre and some grated jack. Maybe add in a little green onion and cilantro form the garden and sit down with a big bowl of tortilla chips and a cold beer! Can I get a woot?
:woot

I also picked 4 nice maters, still need another day or two on the counter though. I have a couple more beauts turning red out there too.

Lemme try to snap a quick pic...

e7d13e64.jpg

Keep in mind that this is my 8 yr olds little hand, not mine. It is a large mater, but not a monster :)
Notice the discolored leaves :(......I figured out it was a nutritional deficiency not a disease, so hopefully that plant will be looking better soon.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Garden update:

- Almost all the peppers have blooms on them now.
- About half the tomatoes have blooms
- the beans, I don't know, half are doing really well, the other half is struggling
- beets and whatever youngest DD planted (broccoli? brussel sprouts?) are doing real well, cabbage so-so
- all the melons/squash are doing well right now
- I may have won the battle of the corn vs the crows
- I may actually get some potatoes
- will probably pick lettuce later this week.

Just a wait and watch game now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My garden update..

Tomatoes, coming in smallish but good flavor
Beans, getting a handful at a time right now
Squash, :rolleyes: picking about 6-7 DAILY
Cukes, blooming
Pumpkins, blooming
Corn, actually have some out there, heat must've not got it all :D
Okra, looking REALLY good!!
Potatoes are about to get dug up. I don't really think they did well. The heat burnt up the tops too quickly and they're dying back earlier than I intended for them to :hu
Onions...pretty much roasted
Garlic, again...roasted
Watermelons,no blooms yet
Cantaloupe, no blooms yet
Turnips..pretty much roasted as well. Still getting a few greens though. :)
Peas have been gone, got little to nothing off of them. However I still have a surviving broccoli :th Go figure :lol:

I found a wild blackberry patch today with ripe berries..going to pick them in the morning. This heat is CRAZY!! Blackberries are usually not ready to pick until AUGUST!

Oh yeah...and my grass is crispy :lol: Seriously...crunches when ya walk across the yard even after the last downpour. Alls I got to say is saves me from havin to mow!!! :cool:

ETA: Oh and the peppers are doing okay. Not hot yet, but they're growing like mad!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
My garden update..

Tomatoes, coming in smallish but good flavor
Beans, getting a handful at a time right now
Squash, :rolleyes: picking about 6-7 DAILY
Cukes, blooming
Pumpkins, blooming
Corn, actually have some out there, heat must've not got it all :D
Okra, looking REALLY good!!
Potatoes are about to get dug up. I don't really think they did well. The heat burnt up the tops too quickly and they're dying back earlier than I intended for them to :hu
Onions...pretty much roasted
Garlic, again...roasted
Watermelons,no blooms yet
Cantaloupe, no blooms yet
Turnips..pretty much roasted as well. Still getting a few greens though. :)
Peas have been gone, got little to nothing off of them. However I still have a surviving broccoli :th Go figure :lol:

I found a wild blackberry patch today with ripe berries..going to pick them in the morning. This heat is CRAZY!! Blackberries are usually not ready to pick until AUGUST!

Oh yeah...and my grass is crispy :lol: Seriously...crunches when ya walk across the yard even after the last downpour. Alls I got to say is saves me from havin to mow!!! :cool:

ETA: Oh and the peppers are doing okay. Not hot yet, but they're growing like mad!
Roasted turnips....:drool oops, I don't think that's what you meant. :hide

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Need some help.

So I ate that big old beautiful mater last night and it was bland. :idunno

It is a hybrid x heirloom (Brandywine x Better Boy).

Is it the variety or the way that I have grown it that makes it so tasteless? It is in a pot and maybe it just gets too much water for good flavor to develop..... I am at a loss.

My SunGold cherries are also grown in a pot and have awesome flavor.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace said:
Need some help.

Is it the variety or the way that I have grown it that makes it so tasteless? It is in a pot and maybe it just gets too much water for good flavor to develop..... I am at a loss.

Probably just the type, but try giving it some sugar water for a few days a week.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Dace said:
Need some help.

Probably just the type, but try giving it some sugar water for a few days a week.
Hmmm, never heard of doing that, but I will give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.