THE SQUIRREL CHALLENGE: Want to join?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
geese to freeze
nu huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE GOING TO EAT LINUS AND LUCY????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*thud*

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a plan to try to lactoferment some garlic this fall and see how it keeps and tastes in recipes, to replace that giant jar of minced garlic from Costco I've used for years and years. Not the same jar....but it does last a LOOOOOONG time, and never turns bad.....I don't even want to look at the label. Just gonna make a plan to do up my own.

I like the dehydrated chunks idea, will do some of that up, too. Does it work well with onions, too, FF? For onion powder? I use lots of both in my herb mixes for sausage and salad dressing and such. I always buy it at Wholefoods. Big fake organic. I don't feel like supporting them much anymore, unless I have to. Can't grow my own cinnamon bark.....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes indeed!

I dehydrate onions (the big sweet Vidalias are the absolute BOMB!), garlic, leeks, celery, and mushrooms all for easy use in cooking. After drying it is easy to crush them into powder in a food processor. Sometimes I just take a handful of the dried onion and rub it between my hands into the food I am cooking. That makes it just about right for most recipes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooooo....thanks! Tell me about the leeks, too....do you chop the entire leek up, white and green? Separate the two for storage and use?

Can I dehydrate the onions as sliced rings, because I have a Nesco dehydrator with biggish holes in the trays, and don't feel like spending any more money on it?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I also have a Nesco I just rough chop the onion in the food processor and put it on. I try to put the jelly roll liner on the bottom rack to catch any fall throughs, but they usually work just great the way they are.

For the leeks I just slice them in thin rings and take out any bad pieces. I drop all of the slices into a deep bowl of water and separate the rings with my fingers this gets out all of the sand and dirt. I lift the rings out of the water by hand to keep the dirt in the bottom of the water and put them in a colander to drain and then I dehydrate away. I usually keep the leeks in rings when I use them and I mix the white and lower green parts. They are really lovely. Best use is potato leek soup!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping this thread was actually about squirrels. I have one that is stealing my peaches.

I love seeing all the home canned-jars lined up neatly on shelves. To bad for us, one of our little earthquakes would make a huge mess and waste of that arrangement.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Come over to my journal page and we will talk about squirrels. Another bald apple tree this year. :somad

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
Darn, I was hoping this thread was actually about squirrels. I have one that is stealing my peaches.
:lol: :gig

Sorry, couldn't help a little laughter at your expense...;) DH and I were just discussing getting a bb gun or a .22 for our massive chipmunk problem....which I thought I'd resolved by hand-feeding the chickens and not leaving full feeders out except in winter. Today I watched my neighbor feeding the chippy's with a bag of sunflower seeds!!! :smack

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I haven't seen a squirrel around here since I got the cat. There seems to be a general abundance of them this year and I have a walnut tree in my front yard, a chestnut tree in the side yard, a line of oak trees in the other side yard and an apple orchard......but no squirrels, ground or otherwise to be seen.

I love that cat! :love