THE SQUIRREL CHALLENGE: Want to join?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, no canning jars lining my shelves yet, but tomatoes haven't started yet.

So far since this spring--
~20# asparagus (wild)
~8 # green and yellow beans (more to come)
~20# strawberries,
~15# raspberries
~14# blueberries (more to come)
~8# corn, (more to come)

All in the freezer.

7 rabbits in the freezer(more to come--22 waiting for the deed--2 this week (unfortunate litter), 9 due in two weeks, 10 due in 4 weeks, then of course more litters, but I will sell them.)

Sold 30 chickens, have 50 due in 6 weeks (some to be sold)

40# lake trout cut into steaks, in freezer(possibly more to come)

All I have in canning jars are the batches of strawberry jam I made, and they are disapperaing quickly, so I won't even count them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Well, no canning jars lining my shelves yet, but tomatoes haven't started yet.

So far since this spring--
~20# asparagus (wild)
~8 # green and yellow beans (more to come)
~20# strawberries,
~15# raspberries
~14# blueberries (more to come)
~8# corn, (more to come)

All in the freezer.

7 rabbits in the freezer(more to come--22 waiting for the deed--2 this week (unfortunate litter), 9 due in two weeks, 10 due in 4 weeks, then of course more litters, but I will sell them.)

Sold 30 chickens, have 50 due in 6 weeks (some to be sold)

40# lake trout cut into steaks, in freezer(possibly more to come)

All I have in canning jars are the batches of strawberry jam I made, and they are disapperaing quickly, so I won't even count them.
Completely and totally impressive! I am so far behind that I think I'm first....... :(

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dont feel bad Bee....I just started my canning, thanks to the weather! :/
This is all I have...but its a start! The green beans are just now starting to come on. I will be planting beets tomorrow, for a fall crop. HOPEFULLY they will be better than the spring beets!
99_28julycanning.jpg

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Boy I felt so bad hijacking the canning thread. I know I offended someone by going on and on.

Anyway, I am sure hoping what I talk about isn't coming across as bragging. I AM pleased with what I have accomplished, but more than anything I just want to fit in, I guess ! Don't we all, on some level?

While I am pleased with what I have done, I am not sure all the time that I have done the right things. I suppose that's subjective, isn't it? As you can tell, I am a little insecure about this. I get pretty much NO support from family, and it is them I am doing it for. Mostly I hear "As long as you are doing something that makes you happy, it's great!" I hope when the need arises they won't be embarrased to ask.

Okay, anyway, I am thrilled to be here and hope I haven't run roughshod over anyone. You guys are SO the "salt of the earth", and it just feels really comforable in these here parts ! Even though I live in a rough part of town, not on a farm, and most certainly have (b/r)ats in my belfry, it is awesome to interact with women who are on the same wave length.

So, on to squirreling...I also have 25 blankets !!!! I cut down two threes, two more to go, for firewood ! One of them my SIL helped with, so I want to give him credit ! I actually have three to go, now that I think about it, because I have a wierd lemon tree with inedible fruit that has 3" spikes on the branches. I am pretending it doesn't exist because I don't yet have the courage to go at it with the chain saw !!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Boy I felt so bad hijacking the canning thread. I know I offended someone by going on and on.

Anyway, I am sure hoping what I talk about isn't coming across as bragging. I AM pleased with what I have accomplished, but more than anything I just want to fit in, I guess ! Don't we all, on some level?

While I am pleased with what I have done, I am not sure all the time that I have done the right things. I suppose that's subjective, isn't it? As you can tell, I am a little insecure about this. I get pretty much NO support from family, and it is them I am doing it for. Mostly I hear "As long as you are doing something that makes you happy, it's great!" I hope when the need arises they won't be embarrased to ask.

Okay, anyway, I am thrilled to be here and hope I haven't run roughshod over anyone. You guys are SO the "salt of the earth", and it just feels really comforable in these here parts ! Even though I live in a rough part of town, not on a farm, and most certainly have (b/r)ats in my belfry, it is awesome to interact with women who are on the same wave length.

So, on to squirreling...I also have 25 blankets !!!! I cut down two threes, two more to go, for firewood ! One of them my SIL helped with, so I want to give him credit ! I actually have three to go, now that I think about it, because I have a wierd lemon tree with inedible fruit that has 3" spikes on the branches. I am pretending it doesn't exist because I don't yet have the courage to go at it with the chain saw !!!
Brag on sister!!

Wait, can't you make something with those 3 inch spikes?! I'm sure we can think of something, like sewing needles etc.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
. I get pretty much NO support from family ...
.... I have a wierd lemon tree with inedible fruit
Few of us here do get family support! Basically they all think we are nuts! :lol:

My family has just now started to appreciate some of it. At lot they have just taken for granted over the years! That is why we all play together here. Not only will you get the support and appreciation that you deserve - there is always another "crackpot" (and I use the term with LOVE :love ) that will have a better way of doing things or another GREAT idea. For example I have been homesteading for over 25 years - but the whole fermentation thread has me in awe!

As for that "inedible" lemon ... I am thinking cleaning supplies and other lemony uses. I wish I could grow a lemon no matter how yucky. What is its problem anyway?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!! What an awesome encouragement. I appreciate it So much.

The lemon tree saga.

Maybe ten years ago we had a severe freeze here in the San Joaquin valley. My previously wonderful lemon tree froze solid, split in half and fell to the ground. I had it professionally removed, but did not have the stump ground ($$). So, about six new, I guess they would be suckers, grew up around the stump and became one huge tree. They went back to their root stock, called "rough lemons". They are huge, no acid, bumpy, ugly lemons. They taste like a mildly citrus soap. And there are hundreds and hundreds of them. The zest is VERy soapy.

I miss my old tree, which was an odd tree as well, with the lemons actually turning a light orange when they were ripe. At least they tasted good !!!

Any ideas what I can do with them?

Latest posts