THE SQUIRREL CHALLENGE: Want to join?

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm willin to try :D I have my chickens for eggs and to raise meat (my freezer has lots of home grown chicken in it already). A beef cow is in the our very near future and a garden. Lots of work to do, but it will be fun.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
It is just me, The Wife and the three four legged fur babies....until we get our chicks March 31st :)

Ginger Snap in front... Gracie Sue is the The Golden One and Shirley Ann is the other Chocolate Lab in the back.

350693144.jpg

Shirley Ann and Gracie Sue.
Hey FATBOY! Can't ya see it's SNOWING out here? LET US IN!!!
350693132.jpg

Ginger Snap and Gracie Sue.
TURN OUT THE LIGHTS!! Can't ya see we're tryin' to sleep here???
118986171.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Maybe we'll have to have three categories:

Best squirreling overall~includes sheer bulk of items squirreled.
Best homegrown squirreling~includes things grown be it animal or plant, in storage for use.

Best squirreling of potential foods: includes food on the hoof, claw, or tree that can be accessed when needed for food, along with the regular squirrelling of food and goods.

Any other suggestions? :D There are so many variables.....

But it will sure be fun to see how everyone's doing! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those are some very beautiful animals, SK!!! Love the chocolate labs... :drool

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Beautiful doggies SK!! Where is the pic of stocked dog food??

Is all of the charcoal just for a grill or is it for the smoker?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Maybe we'll have to have three categories:

Best squirreling overall~includes sheer bulk of items squirreled.
Best homegrown squirreling~includes things grown be it animal or plant, in storage for use.

Best squirreling of potential foods: includes food on the hoof, claw, or tree that can be accessed when needed for food, along with the regular squirrelling of food and goods.

Any other suggestions? :D There are so many variables.....

But it will sure be fun to see how everyone's doing! :)
I think that sounds GREAT!!! I just wish we had more room for the trees we want to plant. We have settled for a couple blueberries,a pear and a peach. We have access to a wonderful apple orchard so we don't need those.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I doubt I will be able to catch up, but I am game anyway. Right now I am squirreling away seeds through the BYC crazy seed train. I just added 50lbs of buffalo to the deep freeze. I still have 4 turkey in their I bought on sale for $5 each around Thanksgiving. I have researched a lot of pemmican recipes. I think I will give buffalo pemmican a try next week. That stuff keeps a long time.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
This sounds like a really good idea. And, yet another way to learn from one another.

I have already converted a hall closet to a pantry for extra food storage. I have placed shelves on the floor of the 3rd bedroom closet for my canned goods storage.

A few months ago we bought a 3rd freezer and a wood cookstove. Someday, I hope to do my canning on it.

I have seedlings started in the greenhouse for our garden and tons more to sell. I plan on doing alot more canning this year. Things like new potatoes, new potatoes with green beans, mixed veggies and more tomato products.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Beautiful doggies SK!! Where is the pic of stocked dog food??

Is all of the charcoal just for a grill or is it for the smoker?
Like everything else in my life, there is a story behind that charcoal :lol:

It is for the smoker. The ONLY thing that goes in that smoker is wood or natural lump charcoal. The Rancher briquettes were a new, all natural product a couple of years ago, and Home Depot had it on sale as a "loss leader" 2.99 for a 10lb bag. :ep (most all natural charcoal goes for 9-12 bucks per 10lb bag!) So I bought a couple of bags and tried it. It works great and the taste it produces is good as well! Sooooo, I head back into Home Depot and asked just how much of that charcoal they had....... ALMOST two complete skids(185 bags!) I told them to get them loaded into my truck and run me thru the register so I could pay for it. I thought the store manager was gonna crap when he saw them loading his entire inventory of charcoal my truck!! :gig :gig :gig

Dog food is the one thing we haven't tried to stock up on yet................we can always feed them people food(vegetables and our canned chicken) if we have to.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm in late.....was gone all day and wow! had some catchin' up to do here!

I'm definitely in.....did I miss the end date? Is it Dec 31, 2009?

We should use the last week to summarize our efforts so the judges don't have to read the thousands of entries, scrounging up the tallies.... :rolleyes: No one will be willing to judge!

Hey, scr8pn, I have more lids than you! :plbb I got three cases through an online order, as they are SOOO expensive here, so I have well over 1500 individual lids, both sizes. Those boxes sure look pretty.

But the pantry with all those colorful jars....had to call dh over to see, as my heart went pitter-pat when I saw those pictures! :clap

Does my one new, white turkey egg count? Until I eat it tomorrow, that is?