The Survival Garden

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not sure but I think if I lived up north, I'd need to plant a lot, all at once, so I'd need about 3X's the garden space I have. But I have over 300 days to grow my garden, so I can do a little here and a little there....one bad thing is the weeds though. I'd imagine I have more than our northern friends.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't hate weeds like I used to. I treat them like green mulch and do the chop and drop. Or I used to...my hands aren't what they used to be. :/ anyway, here I mulch, mulch with whatever I can get and that really holds down on the weeds. I'm out in the sticks and the winds just carry gobs of weed seed. My back couple of acres used to be mostly weeds, but my dinky goat herd helps.

300 days to garden? Wow!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Asparagus and rhubarb is planted. I just lack the horseradish. :D

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Asparagus and rhubarb is planted. I just lack the horseradish. :D
Watch out on that Horseradish!!! it travels faster than the deer that eat my garden! A friend dropped some off one day while I was at work-hubs thought it was for the compost and mixed it in with the finished compost and spread it on the garden in one spot. I had more horse radish starts than I knew what to do with. but that was years ago and now I think they are all gone.. I haven't dug any in about two years and I don't see it sprouting.. but if I grow it again it will have to have a barrier.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That's what I hear. I'll put it in some obscure location...