The three month spending drought is over- and how.............

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Today I went to Costco- bought lots of things to bulk up the supplies I used up. It's amazing how few things can total up to so much. Almost all food. Still, it seems that the one shopping trip still was wel under how much I would spend if I went shopping in three months. I did not replace a few things.
I bet that I can get another couple of months before I need to do more than get milk and some veggies. And the weather looks like a wet storm is coming in a couple of days. Could mean snow for me. I love not having to go out in bad weather- have the wood stocked up and can't wait to sit around a lot. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you went and stocked up and it was still WELL under what 3 mos. of shopping would be---then you did GREAT!

I haven't shopped in about 3 weeks. I need to go. My supplies are getting lower now and Tony is asking--where is the food?
LOL

one thing I loved is NOT going to the store. what a relief ya know.

I noticed I live more out of the freezer than the pantry.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I need to shop too. I love not going grocery shopping and just snagging the occasional loaf of bread or gallon of milk from the Dollar Store which is a quick in and out as compared to the grocery store, walk from one side of that big ole store to the other.

But alas, my supplies are really low and I really need to go. I am hopeing I can put it off for at least 2 more weeks.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do the big shop at Costco too. It is easier to make one painful trip every couple months instead of weekly shopping at the grocery store.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We do Costco big shops as well. I end up buying meat and milk that I do not feel good about but financially I gotta do what I gotta do. I compensate but trying to make as many meals as I can where meat is not the main focus.

I popped into Vons last night to pick up a bottle of wine, and some jelly (I did not make any this year). I grabbed some snow peas for the fried rice I was going to make for dinner and wandered around. I was stunned that there was nothing I needed or was willing to buy. These days I mostly walk around the outer fringes of the store. Very odd changes at our house.

Congrats on the 3 month spending freeze! I love that!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace
isn't that a weird feeling, being in a store, wandering, knowing you need nothing....I like it..HAHA

we went to Southern States for goat mineral blocks and they didn't have them.....so we started to walk around. Not ONE thing we wanted. Tony finally said, ready? I said Yup-----got in the car and said, WOW no money spent for no reason at all. That is cool! LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Enjoy the Ride....can you tell me how you calculate what you will need for three mos? I like the idea of stocking up for longer than we do now.

We are kind of hit and miss, we do our big shop and then fill in where needed but we have never really calculated how long we are shopping for, you know?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Calculate? Calculate? Hmmm........ I never thought of that. :D
No, I just have a supply of things like pasta, spaghettie sauce, Chinese staples, etc. I have lots of meat in the freezer as I raise my own- I also keep butter and frozen fruit in the freezer. Somethings like potatos and onions and squash keep for a loooonnnng time if stored right as do carrots. I keep long lasting cheese. I have some things dehydrated and some canned.
I make stuff from basics- and try to use everything I have before it goes bad or freeze/ dehydrate it if it looks like I'm not going to use it in time.
I buy Costco size popcorn for snacks and make flavorings for it if I get bored. Vacuum pack Costco size nuts- they last for years that way.
I just eat til I'm bored enough to get something else or start getting nervous about how far I have to reach into the pantry. No science at all. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Doncha hate that? I spend very, very little all summer. I almost never get to the store for groceries, so I slowly run us out of all our staples. Then fall/winter hits and I start spending $ like nobody's business, restocking everything in the house! Ouch!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
What I hate most about winter shopping trips is they always seem to need to be done during Thanksgiving or Christmas when the stores are the busiest. Every year I say I am going to plan better and every year I don't.