1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. You cannot ask for more from this property? - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Tomato Cage in 5 Simple Steps

Discussion in 'DIY - Do-It-Yourself Projects, Construction, Etc.' started by MoonShadows, Apr 30, 2016.

1. May 11, 2016
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I put up cow panels for a tomato trellis. I composted the area, then laid cardboard down. I made a double planting row by spacing 3 cow panels 18" apart. The cow panels are held up by T-posts. I cut holes in the cardboard with a machete and planted my tomato plants. I am going to leave them in place, in the fall, place paper feed sacks in the rows and compost heavily. At our previous home, I planted tomatoes in the same bed for 9 years, because it got the most sun and the plants liked it there. So there should be no problem in leaving my tomatoes in a permanent place.

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Beekissed likes this.
  2. May 11, 2016
    MoonShadows

MoonShadows Almost Self-Reliant

Great pics, bay! After posting this thread, I wound up using welded wire posts that I nailed in to the sides of my raised gardens for tomato supports. I'll most likely attach 1 x 2's and tie the tomatoes off or use the Florida method. I just decided the trip to TSC wasn't going to get done, and I'll save a few bucks right now.

3. May 12, 2016
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I tried using the Florida weave one year. But I had tomatoes growing at different rates. Plus, they grew so fast that year I couldn't keep up w/it.

4. May 12, 2016
    MoonShadows

Yes, Florida weave...I knew Florida method was not the right term, but I just couldn't remember the right term. Thanks for that.

5. May 13, 2016
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I did that one year and it was a disaster! My tomatoes get huge ~6-7 ft tall~and the fruit is heavy so the strings kept breaking all over. I spent all season trying to keep the strings from cutting into the vines that were bowed over them and trying to keep the strings tied back into place.

Don't know what kind of maters they grow in Florida, but they couldn't be indeterminate beefsteaks. :hu

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  6. Jun 16, 2016
    MoonShadows

Well....after all that talk about tomato cages and cow panels, I didn't buy the cow panels. I wound up attaching green metal fence posts to the side of my raised tomato garden and started stringing nylon rope to tie the tomatoes tp...already have a few small green ones...not bad for this early in the season around these parts. You can see a couple of little volunteers that I moved to the corners.

100_1132.JPG

Here's a pic of the lettuce. SOOOOOO much lettuce. Hope we can get most of it eaten before the real hot weather gets here. It's been unseasonably cool the past week or so.

100_1133.JPG

I just put in some beet and turnip seeds in another raised gardens. They are just starting to come up.

Here are my beans, carrots and spinach, although the spinach germination was a disappointment.

100_1141.JPG

100_1142.JPG

And, we finally moved the massive dirt pile in the backyard and replaced it with some marigolds, portulaca and a couple of red knockouts. Need to plant some more grass.

100_1137.JPG

7. Jun 16, 2016
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Baymule I like you setup and you could run a board or piece of PVC across there if you needed more between the plants.
    Moonshadows your raised beds look great! chickens love lettuce! Even tho they have plenty of grass in the pasture.

Another easy to make/use/store idea is to use PVC pipe. If you angle cut bottom you have a spike to drive in. Prior to that you drill holes thru a large diameter pipe, up & down the length, to slide smaller pipe thru and you can make a support system of many sizes & configurations. Just disassemble when growing season over & store for next time. No rot, moveable and you can fill the large diameter with water to drip into ground for slow watering. Of course, only to height of first hold, LOL. But, the pipe in ground (or a gallon jug with small holes in bottom) both make a slow water system if you have a group of plants needing this.

baymule and MoonShadows like this.
  8. Jul 14, 2016
    the_whingnut

the_whingnut Almost Self-Reliant

all of these are great!

9. May 17, 2017
    Dianna Starr

Dianna Starr Power Conserver

10. May 17, 2017
    Dianna Starr

Dianna Starr Power Conserver

all of these are very good ideas, using this type of cattle fencing , but my tomatoes i planted on the side of our barn, 1st because it had the best light in that lactation , ( here in AZ that means not to much sun ) & in that location they grew like 8 to 9 feet tall HA dont know why..? i took pic's of my 65" tall hubby to show our tomatoes grew way over his head HA , but my present problem is my 75 free range chickens would if they could eat every plant they could get a hold of :( so i think i need a chicken proof tomato cage & one they cant get their heads into HA

baymule likes this.