The xXx Gloom & Doom Report

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Britesea said:
The only reason we would leave would be in the event of wildfire, or volcano eruption (we are not very far away from a non-extinct volcano). The volcano eruption may not be a really big risk, but the wildfire is. Every year we have fires started by lightning strikes in these mountains.
Ohhh I see I was thinking Economic collapse, martial law............. :p Then yeah I'd leave

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Britesea said:
The only reason we would leave would be in the event of wildfire, or volcano eruption (we are not very far away from a non-extinct volcano). The volcano eruption may not be a really big risk, but the wildfire is. Every year we have fires started by lightning strikes in these mountains.
I look at those same two risks, Britsea....I don't look at a volcanic eruption as being unlikely, I live near Mt. Saint Helens.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Ohhh I see I was thinking Economic collapse, martial law............. :p Then yeah I'd leave
The thing about leaving is that you need a destination that is better to go to and a clear route to get there. Sometimes it is better to just hole up. ;) Still I DO have a BOB ready and waiting if needed.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Britesea said:
I would think about that one for a bit BB. It sounds as if you have a fairly remote location with things set up pretty well as far as garden and animals and water, etc. Where else would you go that would be better for you? Your SS preps will stand you in good stead in case of economic collapse and it would not be that easy for the zombies to get to you. Most of our state is pretty well armed and not too tolerant of outsiders. I went to court days in Preston yesterday. There were more guns there than most gun shows I've been to. It was quite eye opening in many ways. These are people that are well accustomed to taking care of themselves and they don't tolerate nonsense.

For us personally, we're rethinking our move next summer. We were pretty set on Urbana, IL for UIUC due to the strength of their program, a rare foreign language minor and cost of housing. In the last week, we've totally redone how we're weighting everything as far as priorities. Still have a lot more information to gather but Idaho is a strong contender right now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I would think about that one for a bit BB. It sounds as if you have a fairly remote location with things set up pretty well as far as garden and animals and water, etc. Where else would you go that would be better for you? Your SS preps will stand you in good stead in case of economic collapse and it would not be that easy for the zombies to get to you. Most of our state is pretty well armed and not too tolerant of outsiders. I went to court days in Preston yesterday. There were more guns there than most gun shows I've been to. It was quite eye opening in many ways. These are people that are well accustomed to taking care of themselves and they don't tolerate nonsense.

For us personally, we're rethinking our move next summer. We were pretty set on Urbana, IL for UIUC due to the strength of their program, a rare foreign language minor and cost of housing. In the last week, we've totally redone how we're weighting everything as far as priorities. Still have a lot more information to gather but Idaho is a strong contender right now.
I agree that we are fairly well placed for EOTWAWKI- I would want to stay here in most cases. But if we have a wildfire or eruption, we need to bug at least for a short while, until we see if the the disaster is going to take our house. Then I would probably come back and rebuild.

the only things we don't have yet is the animals- they will be the project for next spring- and an alternate heat source to natural gas. We have a lot of regs about wood burning stoves in this area, because the land is a bowl, completely surrounded by tall mountains- nowhere for smoke to go. At one time, Klamath County had some of the worst air quality in the state because of all the particulates in the air from wood burning stoves. Pellet stoves are ok, but if you don't have any pellets, you are up the proverbial creek.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im talking about leaving on disasters, I would leave then. But FF I would hold up here and keep safe here. We have decent neighbors, and are in a fairly remote area.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We have decent neighbors, and are in a fairly remote area.
Then you ARE truly blessed. I live smack in the middle of the mess and am surrounded by potential zombies. :/ Even at that I may STILL hold position. We have a tight set up here and a few neighbors with an arsenal. ;)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to be one of the lucky ones too. I am on an island with one way one and one way off. Not to hard to take care of that problem if the SHTF. :) We have a population of about 3000. Most are self employeed and self sufficient if need be. The closest metro is 45 minutes away and only 30,000 total population with surrounding population. Bangor Maine is the closest city and there are lots of bridges and rivers blocking us from them. Chances are if the zombie horde started moving up from Southern Maine they wouldn't get to far. There's a lot of rivers, bridges, heavy woods, swamps, redknecks, I'm sure roadblocks when the time comes and sniper to stop them. So I feel secure to stay put. I can deal with most anything. Between the traning I have had and what I have. Aswell as alliances I have and am making. We should fair well. Good luck to anyone in a heavily populated area.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
BarredBuff said:
We have decent neighbors, and are in a fairly remote area.
Then you ARE truly blessed. I live smack in the middle of the mess and am surrounded by potential zombies. :/ Even at that I may STILL hold position. We have a tight set up here and a few neighbors with an arsenal. ;)
We do however have some "questionable" ones (zombies), but we could probably work together and unite.........

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
gee thanks :p LOL

I am in the burbs surrounded by zombie fodder...but several of my nice neighbors are well armed and they know I know how to raise food animals and grow stuff. I am sure we could work something out :D

Abi is screwed right now loving in the middle of the zombie housing area. Fortunately she is moving soon and will have very self sufficient new roomies.