The xXx Gloom & Doom Report

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have guns, an excellent guard dog, and thats it for now :/ But when I have my own place one day. It will have woven wire perimeter fencing, with a natural fence of trees and such as well. Plus the dog(s), and Smith & Wesson. :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a roll of razor wire or barbed wire & leaving it in the shed, "just in case." I wouldn't put it up "unless...." Bamboo is an interesting idea, it grows wild around here (escaped from someone's garden awhile back, I guess). I wonder if I could dig it up & transplant it? It's supposed to be very hard to get rid of, tho... :/

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love the answers. :) I feel Rawles's idea of defending your home is a bit much for the normal person. My idea is to have advanced warning when things get really bad. My neighbors will be the trip wires for any problems coming down the road but kinetic energy solutions are the primary location protection. A simple solar motion sensor is easy too. Like the ones they us in stores. Threat catagories will require different items and tactics. my 2 cents. :) Personally I'm not going to go to crazy with building a bunker. K.I.S. people :)

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wish we could build anything underground! We have about 1 1/2 ft of soil then solid bedrock! I would love a root cellar! As much as I would love to be semi prepared with everything, im afraid we won't get there, but having it in the fore front of our thinking puts us way ahead of many many people. And while we may not be totally prepared we can keep an eye out for things we will need and work towards it. I dont expect an apocalypse, but I expect our greedy government to fail us, and thus all of the systems we dont realize how much we rely on. So gardening and raising livestock, making homemade soaps and what nots, will all become the demand. I plan on being a supplier! And then I can barter for what I dont have and can't make. So learning is a very vital start. Knowledge is power! so what you can't buy, you can read about. Books published before 1923 I think, are free on Amazon, and I have several, so learning the ways they got by, will help so much in having things we won't know how to make. Our consumer society has no idea how to make much, we know where to go buy it. So I think that's our best start, if you have the books, whetheryou read them now or wait till you have to, you will be better off! And holistic medicine will be a huge neccesity. We won't have very many dr, educated left if it turns out close to how I see it happening. They won't survive. So having some natural remedies and books on plants, getting seeds and freezing them for that purpose or planting them now so they are ready for hravest and learning how to store and mix them, getting our bodies away from our dependency on pills, and used to God's way of treating us. These are things to think about.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hedgerows are an excellent way to keep things in AND out. They are more difficult to cut through than a metal fence, and a lot of them have tasty fruit or beautiful flowers as well. Hawthorn, pomegranate, wild roses, blackberries, pyracantha, Argentine mesquite, catclaw acacia, cholla and prickly pear are all plants with attitude....

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is a great idea! And a dual purpose! I know I dont think I could be desperate enough to try to get through a BlackBerry bramble! And we were just talking about planting them this spring! Now I know where to put them!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Someone sent this pic to me as a joke, but actually, it's not a bad idea....
3802_bus_shelter.jpg

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
edjanuary39 said:
That is a great idea! And a dual purpose! I know I dont think I could be desperate enough to try to get through a BlackBerry bramble! And we were just talking about planting them this spring! Now I know where to put them!
You ain't jokin. I get slashed just trying to very carefully pick them. :/ Fortunately, I happen to have some growing right at the fence-line, so maybe I don't need the razor wire after all!! :lol:

Oh, & I do like the bus! ;)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
edjanuary39 said:
I wish we could build anything underground! We have about 1 1/2 ft of soil then solid bedrock! I would love a root cellar! As much as I would love to be semi prepared with everything, im afraid we won't get there, but having it in the fore front of our thinking puts us way ahead of many many people. And while we may not be totally prepared we can keep an eye out for things we will need and work towards it. I dont expect an apocalypse, but I expect our greedy government to fail us, and thus all of the systems we dont realize how much we rely on. So gardening and raising livestock, making homemade soaps and what nots, will all become the demand. I plan on being a supplier! And then I can barter for what I dont have and can't make. So learning is a very vital start. Knowledge is power! so what you can't buy, you can read about. Books published before 1923 I think, are free on Amazon, and I have several, so learning the ways they got by, will help so much in having things we won't know how to make. Our consumer society has no idea how to make much, we know where to go buy it. So I think that's our best start, if you have the books, whetheryou read them now or wait till you have to, you will be better off! And holistic medicine will be a huge neccesity. We won't have very many dr, educated left if it turns out close to how I see it happening. They won't survive. So having some natural remedies and books on plants, getting seeds and freezing them for that purpose or planting them now so they are ready for hravest and learning how to store and mix them, getting our bodies away from our dependency on pills, and used to God's way of treating us. These are things to think about.
Why do you think that Drs [MD i assume] will not survive? Having a good knowledge of the human body will be a huge advantage. you yourself said knowledge is power. They can read as well as you and many will have skills that can't be mastered through reading books. If we fall back only 400 years the doctors were in demand then even though all the medicine they had was carried in their black bag. Break a bone it is going "to sting a bit' but he is the one I want to reset it, not someone that read about it once. Same for removing an arrow [I say arrow because people will run out of ammo and a bowman is much more deadly than a black powder smooth bore which is where the fall of tech will leave us. Even tribes had medician men.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and there are probably more people with 'outdoor skills' that would 'seem' not too.

Just because someone is, say a hairstylist or Dr., don't think they aren't skilled in other areas. Both could be deadly shots and more prepared than one would think. :p