The_whingnut's road to ........................

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we got some pickles done today doing up some Kosher half sours! picked up some more canning jars and some canning supplies!
5207_2012-06-18_19-52-24_157.jpg

got the fire pit welded up and a fire in it. i added some older herbs and cloves to it to give the neighbors something to talk about!

drank about a quart of water kefir today love that stuff!

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
We got more compost and mulch today for the garden. I started planning more projects and my wife and I starting talking about ways to improve our herb garden.
:thumbsup I saw the pictures of your garden, it is looking great! I was thining of you the other day when we bottled our mead. it just went from the 2 initial weeks to the bottle for 4 more months but we couldn't wait to try it. tasted more like 100 proof honey vodka :sick Hopefully it'll get better as it ages :/

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The alcohol burn will mellow with time. I have a batch that we oak aged its about perfect after 7 years ageing.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i got the fire pit cleaned / burnt off and painted yesterday, hopefully i can cure the paint today. I've been enjoying a 32oz bottle of kefir everyday at work. i really like that stuff! looking forward to getting the milk kefir and working a bit on our garden extention (planters and pots).

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we have been working on the garden tonight (just too darn hot today). We found a small place in Stonington that had a wide variety of herbs to we expanded our garden. I'm not too sure of everything we added but Bubbles will inform me and I will post later.

My pickles came out very salty but very garlicy :woot

We lost our sage plant, almost all the Scotch bonnets, and half of the other peppers. They just keeled over after we transferred them. :barnie
:/
But our soil is 100% better than is was when we started reworking it 3 months ago. :woot

No we are dealing with a huge tick problem here there is about 10-15 new ticks on our porch every morning its a crunchy walk to the truck in the mornings. I'll start looking for ideas for tick repellent tonight. I'd hate to wreck my garden with insecticides after working so hard on it. :/

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What we added pics to follow!
Loveage
Feverfew
Lime basil
Golden sage
Pinapple sage
Purple echineasa
Dill
Bachelors button
Apple mint
Southernwood
Strawberry fields forever
Greek oragano
Lavander
German garlic
Hysopp

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
The alcohol burn will mellow with time. I have a batch that we oak aged its about perfect after 7 years ageing.
7 years???? but...but I was hoping to try my mead in 3 months :th

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you can try it in 3 months it will mellow well in that time. the 7 years came from a combination of oak aging and me forgetting about it until it was rediscovered while moving from VA to CT. :rolleyes:

for all i know it was perfect 6.7 years ago. :idunno

EDIT: at the time i was brewing about 20-35 Gals in rotation a week between bottling, transferring, aging, brewing, and lagering. so in my defense i was brew crazy and had a ton of shipmates who was fueling the habit. They paid and helped i planned, prepped and got very creative.

Latest posts