The_whingnut's road to ........................

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok we started up with being more frugal and less dependant on others. Last sunday we planted our test garden in the back yard. turned the ground, fertilized and added lime. We planted a few herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. we do not have a lot of yard space to use, so we just tried a few things (we live in Navy housing) so its a 20'x5.5' plot.

yesterday (6 june 2012) we went to the local transfer station (city dump) and picked up a small truck load of compost for free (less time and fuel). i also picked up a discarded porpane tank to work a project with.

Today (7june2012) i started using a new razor head I made sure it was clean when i was done its on the rack and i stropped(? spelling) it. lets see how long it will last. i will be looking for my old shaving brush and soap cup i had from way back and try and find a replacement straight razor for the one i lost in MS. the local indoor flea market has a few vendors who have good quaility old razors that can be cleaned & re-edged. usually for 10-20 bucks.

I will get pictures up asap. but right now i have a class to teach how to set things on fire.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Sounds like you are off to a good start!
Indeed :)

I love your last sentence, setting things on fire sounds like a great way to begin the day :D

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thats everyday i'm a welding instructor for the navy.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got more compost and mulch today for the garden. I started planning more projects and my wife and I starting talking about ways to improve our herb garden.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wanna be in your class!!!! I'm too old for the Navy(thus old enough to know better) though. ;)

Sounds like you have a great start! Hope everything grows well for you :)

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you ask my students i'm the anti-christ, i'm old school Navy (as much as possible in today's navy).

I'm going to start trolling the neighborhoods out here on Tuesdays (large garbage pickup) some ppl throw away the darnedest things, i've gotten couches and chairs that just need to be cleaned, the lil' green machine is champ!

most ppl just waste a lot in the past we have been kinda bad but if i don't need it or can't use it i will put it on freecycle.

if you haven't used it try mostly yahoo groups or facebook.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We have been wasteful in the past as well. I wish I had everything I tossed "just because I was done with it" back! Especially the cash we've wasted :rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wanna start fires too!

Latest posts