@thefunnyfarm - the're coming to take me away hehe hoho

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
well its been a crazy week here at the funny farm. Some very close friends of mine came do the up for the weekend (they do the first of every month) to help with weeding the garden and odd jobs around the farm that need done. My husband is disabled and can not do much and I am only one person and there is just some things men do better than me. (but don't tell them that) It is always a blessing when they show up. My kids think they are their grandparents and are in every sense of the word their grandparents. So the first day off to the auction 8am - 630 pm with 3 small children need I say more oh and my friend had a broke toe. We were on a mission for bunnies. We got through all the house hold items and on to food and eggs. The building was packed to standing. So we had to take shifts leaving the seats so they would not be taken. The food came at 1:00 and they knew what they were doing cause cakes went 20-60 dollars for 1 cake crazy. My friend stepped out side for a breather and found a lady leaving wanting to sell some roos so my friend called me out there and scored 3 roos for 3 dollars each. So we got through the eggs and chicks and I thought yeah getting closer and the kind lady beside me notified me goats were next. The whole auction house could not help but here the kids when are the bunnies coming, are they up to the bunnies yet, I want a bunny. Mind you the kids are 8, 7, and 4 and it had been 9 hours and were very bored and tired by this point. The goats were very funny and put on a good show. Then come the first row of chickens and low and behold there were bunnies. Praise God. I would have paid a hundred dollars for the darn things not knowing when any others were coming out could have been another hour. So I bid and silence no one would bid against me. Score..Had no idea what I won or if it was even alive but it was a bunny. 1 down 2 to go (3 kids equals 3 bunnies any less you are asking for trouble) next 2 dead silence no one bid against me. I think I had that look of death I was hot and tired my hair was tattered and I had 3 kids pulling on my they were either very afraid of me or had pitty on me. All the others went for 20 dollars and I got mine 5 dollars a piece. 2 bucks and thankfully 1 doe. 1 is very pretty tanish lop ear with huge feet. he is agressive. jumps and bats at you. will bite too. The doe is grey and skiddish but gentle. and the other buck same size as her is sweet and friendly plain black he has such a good personality.
The next days were work days put in a cloths line I recieved from the lady next door who did not use it in years and weeded the garden some. After they left I recieved an email from a creigslist add I put on needing canning jars. so off I went. I was given 78 pints 21 quarts and 3 jelly jars. The man that gave them to me had them in an old barn still full and said I could take as many as I liked so I liked all LOL. I walked into the barn and all kinds of treasures from long ago adorned the barn. Must have been his mothers items put there after she pasted. Old cooking spoons and small wooden cloths line. I brought home my prize and started cleaning them. First off never leave rings on lesson learned after time they rust and are very hard to remove. These were canned in the early 1980's. As I was doing this I thought of the old woman canning them that long ago so lovingly for her family. I felt like I was committing some canning sin agaist her. I am sure as she put her harvest up she did not realize that in the future some stranger would be dumping them into a trash can to have the jars. The jars were not the valuable thing at that time the food was and now it was the jars I was holding the value on. I feel that way when I am canning for my family. I am thinking of the enjoyment we will get from eating them. I am sure we all do. So I had to add a tribute today to all the women who work so hard to bring in a harvest and put up the harvest for the love of their family. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Aidenbaby wrote;

Have you thought about doing meat rabbits? They'd chow that grass right down for you.
Put one of the bunnies in the chicken tractor between the row and it chowed that section down so just moved hime down the row. I like it less work cheeper food bill and rabbit is in a more natural enviroment. Does not get much better than that. Thanks so much

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hard day today we cleaned out the chicken coop and added more roosts. We as in me and my 4 year old son lol. We went to check and feed the bunnies and the female made a fur nest yeah looked a little closer and movement under the fur. It was 25 days ago we brought her home hmm. I did not want to mess with them in feer she would eat them so left them alone. Went back mid day to check and one was to the side with ants all over I asumed it was dead picked it up and the poor thing was alive so I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get billions of fire ants off/ went to check the rest and all of them were getting eaten alive. one by one took ants off one was already gone and salvaged what i could of the nest and put her and them in another cage with little hope. cChecked back and all were lost. Very sad lesson learned. I never thought about ant getting them. I wish I would have checked sooner on them. The kids were heart broken.

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Life has been busy here at the funny farm. Kids and hubby were gone for a whole week all I had was my 1yr old. AHHHHH Got 6 new laying hens for free. Score. built the female bunny a new hutch and a nesting box from free wood yeah. turned out great. Garden is starting to produce and canning is everyday all day for me. I must say I have got the uglyest sadest bunch of tomatos you have ever seen. No seriously. Thank God I planted 120 plants or I would be in bad shape. Anything that could go wrong in tomato growth I have. We have blosom end rot, cracking spliting yellow shoulders. We went from no rain for over a month to a whole week of thunderstorms. They were so bad my corn looks like a group of bears layed on them. but sun is back and they are reaching for the sky. the stalks are curvey but heck I will just eat my cobs laying down :lol: And the tomatos made the best sauce ever. 11 quarts so far. and still coming about a half a bushel a day. and pickles are in full swing I may have over esimated the number of cuc plants. I think over 100 of them I planted around the bourder of the corn so they could climb the stalks and have only about 4 producing yet and am up to 24 pints of pickles. Corn should be done in about a week and we have more corn than could prob feed our neighborhood. So I will try to post again with some total numbers when we are done. I am trying to can and freeze enough for a year of everything we grow. Or can or freeze everthing we grow even if it is only a few months worth what ever the Lord blesses us with I am trying to stretch and us wisely.

I forgot to tell about my surprise visitor in the tomato patch. I was walking along complaining to my poor hubby about the grass being to high because of the week of rain we have had and i heard and saw a snake no lie It was as big as a gator tail well maybe not that big but was the fatest snake I have ever seen. It slithered luckly the other way while I screamed and ran hopped on toes like a ballet star the other way and that lane never looked so long before. Ps I hate snakes. Deadly afraid of them can you tell lol:lol: