There’s a first time for everything.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
She's got a seriously nice udder on her and the lamb looks like he's benefiting from it nicely. Can you get us a side on pic of the lamb?

Those quick sips are how they normally feed, so I'm thinking Onyx is letting him nurse and they could be well bonded now.

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She's got a seriously nice udder on her and the lamb looks like he's benefiting from it nicely. Can you get us a side on pic of the lamb?

Those quick sips are how they normally feed, so I'm thinking Onyx is letting him nurse and they could be well bonded now.

Just took these had to get her out into the light.

DD0EE264-2322-49D9-8CFC-6D0E97D4B379.jpeg
1682F1D6-A051-409C-8B27-BA69AC079D7E.jpeg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a chunky little baby! I would just check baby occasionally to make sure her belly feels full but she certainly doesn't look like she's lacking in the milk department!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, indeedy, that's a lamb whose getting some tucker! I love seeing it up close like that...feels like I can almost reach and out and touch that furry belly! :love

Good job!

Ayla_noemi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That lamb is looking very good :)

So I checked this morning at Onyx’s feeding time and baby still looks pleasantly plump. Not as much as the pictures above but no bones in sight and a nice full belly you can see and feel the fullness. I noticed when I picked up baby Onyx continued to stomp even though she had space to retreat she stood close by I think she was making sure her new baby would not be harmed. I will watch them for the rest of this week and if all looks good by Saturday I will set them loose on a separate pasture where baby’s original mom can not access. I will probably give them another week or so there with the goats and if everything still looks good I will move the rest of my lambs over to that pasture and see what happens. Wish us luck! Thank you all for all your advice and support I will update you guys on how it goes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A wonderful experiment! I think it will and can be repeated, depending on the nature of the individual ewe and even on the lamb. Katahdins are so docile and such good mothers that it could be they are just a good breed to use in grafting lambs, like Jersey cows are for grafting calves.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
All's well that ends well :) Though it's not quite the end yet, things are going very well so far!