There was no plan, but here I am

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
Too late I realized I needed more hens of a different age, so I have 5 americaunas growing up, 4 will be layers, the 5th is my grandchildren's pet. (crooked beak, probably won't make it to a year, probably will never lay, but kids learn from lots of things.)

Gypsi
That's what I wanted to do. But, I couldn't get a broody earlier in the year. Then, my good broody got killed, so I got an incubator. I got nothing from that. Then, I had one get broody when it was way too hot in August, and I got nothing. If I don't have any luck this year, I'll get some pullets around August or so. Right now, I'm having to get eggs from someone else. :/

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All my feed store had when I got my first chicks were barred rocks and production reds. The barred rocks really suffered from the heat, although I have one surviving trooper that made it through. I was dunking chickens in the dog water to cool them off this summer if they looked heat-stroke-ish, esp after my other barred rock died on a 108 degree day, while I was up installing solar on the roof.

I got my americauna chicks from the feed store, but I think they were just a few that came in from a local farmer, October 22nd not normally being chick season for them. They get local eggs from someone, probably the same source.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If they were dropping dead, you should really consider Minorcas and Leghorns.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If you're sure their protein level is high enough, you might try is giving them a little bit of hot peppers in their food. Lots of people say it helps them start pick up the production again after moulting or in the winter. The chickens do not taste the heat, so they wont mind at all.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They're still growing feathers back in, I'm just makin sure they have food. (and my g key is intermittently not working, so I've got quite the Texas Twang on here today.)

It is not that critical that they lay, I would rather they had a good rest and were healthy and ready to lay in their time at this point. They did have some hot italian sausage for a treat the other day. A bit of cayenne my granddaughter thought was too hot...

Gypsi

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm still alive, Allstate is finally going to pay my claim, and I am buried in un-done paperwork but making good progress. So much for self sufficiency. There are still bills I have to pay, so I have to work... Wormed the hens on Dec 29, tossing their eggs out for the next couple of weeks, but while they are not laying much seemed like a good time to worm them. My cross-beaked americauna died on the 28th, wanted to move the pullets in with the hens, so that also made it seem like a good time.

Planting bee forage mostly, broccoli isn't blooming yet, my swiss chard looks like it has cramped roots and needs the soil loosened, and I need to plant some more. The onions are alive and appear to be well. Going to the garden is a luxury. First things first.

Good night all.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, my garden is frozen solid and covered w/a thin layer of snow!

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Right now, my garden is frozen solid and covered w/a thin layer of snow!
On the bright side, you don't have to dig the snow out. Parts of mine are being covered with a thin layer of henbit and other weeds. Not going to be fun when I get there.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Gypsi said:
Well, I'm still alive, Allstate is finally going to pay my claim, and I am buried in un-done paperwork but making good progress. So much for self sufficiency. There are still bills I have to pay, so I have to work... Wormed the hens on Dec 29, tossing their eggs out for the next couple of weeks, but while they are not laying much seemed like a good time to worm them. My cross-beaked americauna died on the 28th, wanted to move the pullets in with the hens, so that also made it seem like a good time.

Planting bee forage mostly, broccoli isn't blooming yet, my swiss chard looks like it has cramped roots and needs the soil loosened, and I need to plant some more. The onions are alive and appear to be well. Going to the garden is a luxury. First things first.

Good night all.
Congrats about the insurance claim. :) Woo hoo! What will you be using for bee forage plants?

Latest posts