things are looking good in the rabbitry

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was considering rabbits for a while as meat source for us, but my biggest concern is disposing of the non-edible parts, such as the hides. There are some fierce restrictions here on disposing of anything animal waste wise, such as dead animals' carcasses, bits left after butchering, etc. It's something I need to look into more, but I'm curious if there may be a market for the hides here or elsewhere.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you wanted to spend the time on it they look nice. They are pretty thin tho. The only thing they would be good for is crafts.

I just bury that stuff in the garden

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi, can you burn it? Little smell but may work. You can then use it in the garden as ash. A thought.

I had some visitors yesterday to talk about goats but, she wanted to get back into some meat rabbits & has butchered those & poultry -- no problems (an old farm gal, cows, pigs, etc). So I am hoping I may have a "share butcher day" partner this year. It's a better day if you aren't working it alone. :p

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I believe burning it is not allowed either, though some people do it anyway. Here in the village it'd be risky, but outside on the farm somewhere where the smell won't be a problem can work…

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is strictly forbidden here. Too much groundwater used for private wells, etc.
They must be some shallow wells if buried rabbit guts would contaminate the ground water.

What about drying the hides, you could use them for crafts or throw them away, dry they wouldn't stink or rot. What about freezing the feet, head and offal in small bags? Wrap them up well on trash pick up day and put in trash to be hauled away.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Some of them are shallow yes and we get a lot of rain water soaking into the ground here. I think their reasoning is also if a lot of people bury animal waste products and dead animals, it's going to add up and become a real health hazard.

If I can dry the hides I can probably find someone that will take them for crafts or something…

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well my 2 does that kindled and ended up being good moms decided they don't want to breed. That's what I get for bragging I guess.

They should have been bred 2 weeks ago. But they continue to refuse to lift. This really throws off the schedual and is going result in lost meat.

Pretty frustrated

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh no… Hopefully they'll come round for you soon. You need those babies!