Things I Learned While Processing Chickens

sillychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
If you add a little dawn dish soap to the hot water (140 deg is the right temp, and it won't cook the bird) it will penetrate the oils on the birds feathers and work much faster at soaking the bird feathers, the soap won't hurt anything. I hold by the feet and agitate the bird in the water, it should only take 20 or so seconds (pulling a wing or tail feather helps) Wear light rubber gloves to protect your hands while dunking.

When it comes to tough feathers on the wing and tail, I don't pull straight out, I first pull down or up at an angle away from the body, it "breaks the seal", then pull the feather straight out, the feather comes out much easier. (You'll hear it kinda pop)

Silkie feathers are a pain yes, they also look freaky to process, everything inside is a much different color than we're used too!

I also learned a newer way of starting the gut process. I used to slit from breast bone down, now I do almost the opposite. Cut horizontally between the tail and anus, may need to poke the tip of the knife in to loosen from the back bone. Cut up on either side of the anus and then across the top. this frees the anus and attached intestines.

Sharp knifes work great, and even better at doing a number on your own skin. if you have a finger particularly prone to cutting, use some ele or duct tape and wrap the finger, between the knuckles and not to tight to cut off circulation. I am a finger cutting pro (the cut I got sunday is still bleeding monday, guess I may need stitches!! LOL)

there is a gland at the top of the roosters tail that should be cut off..........

I was told that testicles taste like tofu.. though I have yet to test that theory!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sillychicken said:
I also learned a newer way of starting the gut process. I used to slit from breast bone down, now I do almost the opposite. Cut horizontally between the tail and anus, may need to poke the tip of the knife in to loosen from the back bone. Cut up on either side of the anus and then across the top. this frees the anus and attached intestines.

Sharp knifes work great, and even better at doing a number on your own skin. if you have a finger particularly prone to cutting, use some ele or duct tape and wrap the finger, between the knuckles and not to tight to cut off circulation. I am a finger cutting pro (the cut I got sunday is still bleeding monday, guess I may need stitches!! LOL)

there is a gland at the top of the roosters tail that should be cut off..........

I was told that testicles taste like tofu.. though I have yet to test that theory!
For the anus, I typically cut below the keel bone, just enough to separate everything in there, cut down to the butt bones, then flip the bird over, cut between the vertebrae above the oil gland on the tail, cut so that you're through the vertebrae and pull the entire tail off off, and with that the anus and all that fun stuff comes out pretty easily.

As for testicles, they still disturb me. They are so delicate and rupture very easily.

Scissors can be used for the entire processing of a chicken. No need to butcher your fingers in the process of butchering your birds. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use sissors in the kitchen for cutting up bacon, chicken, and other meat. Never even thought to use them to process a chicken. I feel kind of silly. They are nice shears designed to cut up waterfowl and very sharp (I've cut myself on them). Yeah, that would work very well and make life much easier.

Thanks for that idea.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sillychicken said:
If you add a little dawn dish soap to the hot water (140 deg is the right temp, and it won't cook the bird) it will penetrate the oils on the birds feathers and work much faster at soaking the bird feathers, the soap won't hurt anything. I hold by the feet and agitate the bird in the water, it should only take 20 or so seconds (pulling a wing or tail feather helps) Wear light rubber gloves to protect your hands while dunking.

When it comes to tough feathers on the wing and tail, I don't pull straight out, I first pull down or up at an angle away from the body, it "breaks the seal", then pull the feather straight out, the feather comes out much easier. (You'll hear it kinda pop)

Silkie feathers are a pain yes, they also look freaky to process, everything inside is a much different color than we're used too!

Hens have that gland above the tail too It is a oil land used to oil the feathers it tastes qiite fowl .

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another thing you could do is let the chicken age in your fridge or a cooler for a day or 2, particularly if it is an older laying hen, it'll help the meat not be so tough.

sillychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
mamaluv321 said:
Another thing you could do is let the chicken age in your fridge or a cooler for a day or 2, particularly if it is an older laying hen, it'll help the meat not be so tough.
yes, allow the Rigor mortis to pass for a few days before freezing. It will change the texture of the meat for the better.

Good point on the scissors....though I'm sure I'll find a way to cut myself! lol!

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
we skin em , less time less problems
check out youtube if you want to see how quick it can be done

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
piglett said:
That's what we did on the two that we butchered. Yeah, all two of them. Taking baby steps here....

But my grandson used his new gun to shoot 'em in the head, so it was over by the time I got out there.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
piglett said:
That's what we did on the two that we butchered. Yeah, all two of them. Taking baby steps here....

But my grandson used his new gun to shoot 'em in the head, so it was over by the time I got out there.
i use a good big cleaver
it's good & heavy so it only takes 1 swing to do the job