Things I want but can't afford

becky3086

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My self sufficient kitchen wish list:

I want some of the reusable canning jar lids
I would love a bigger pressure canner
I would love to have a hand crank mixer
I WANT A GOAT (ok, maybe not IN the kitchen but to contribute to the kitchen, lol). I want some pigs too, lol.
I want a grain mill (don't have one yet)

What do you all want but can't afford. I swear if I could just win the lottery I could be totally self sufficient, then I wonder why the heck you need money to be self sufficient-you don't but it sure would help :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Pressure Canner - and 200+ canning jars, lids, etc.

:D

A double oven built into a wall - so I can be baking more goodies at the same at the same time.

and, not SS, really, but a dishwasher - so dishes can be washing while I'm free to dirty up more dishes to be washed :p

The biggest chest freezer available- for stuffing full of home processed meats, home baked goods, etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Aly, sometimes I just need a kick in the but. Thanks. If you lived closer we could hang out at my house and bake all day. :)

Becky, just put the wor out. Things you need will find you.

G

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Our grandparents (well, mine, maybe your Great-Great Grandparents! :p ) needed tools and equipment to be self-sufficient, and so do we! Problem is, the stuff we are looking for is no longer available in every store and in the Sears catalog at everyday prices.

My wish list fluctuates with my mood and what is going on at the moment......right now I'm drooling over a really nice 6 gallon stainless steel stock pot at the local restaurant supply place. $145. Sniffle.

I REALLY want more of the horse fencing that surrounds my pasture so I can divide my pasture (used goat field fencing for one division and the garden....it is already a mess from the goats climbing it and the babies get their heads stuck....I hate it!) and to fence in more of the woods so I can put the pigs to work in the woods, clearing underbrush.

Now that I've seen my first shiitakes, I want to grow more types of mushrooms. So I want supplies.

I want to raise a calf for beef. For that I need to get lots of manure...more than my little goaties can produce....to get the small pasture really producing, and the above fencing to rotate the steer in paddocks.

I really want a little Jersey cow for milk and cream but that is not going to happen because of the long winter and the need to purchase hay and my lack of enough pasture. I'd be thrilled to find someone nearby with one that I could get some milk from....

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Acres
A house with several of them

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want a tractor. No...I REALLY want a tractor! The back 1/2 acre of the farm is in need of bush-hoggin' and it takes me a week to get it down with the mower.
Also - we have a tiller but, again, it takes forever to till the garden.

I want a solar water heater. I want a solar heat system. I want an extra well dug. I want to be tall, blond and Swedish...oh wait, that's a different wish list. :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I want more land, a cow, a tractor, more canning jars(actually in the works :D ) a greenhouse, a pond, a lawn mower, solar panels, a large-ish barn and and and...

Some of it..well...define "afford" because I have the money technically...but it is emergency savings for when we have no work. BUT it is things that would save us money in the long run.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want, I want, I want.......EVERYTHING!!!

Let's see......

1. House with acreage

2. Cows (beef & dairy), horses (transportation & field work), pigs, more chickens, turkeys, more dogs & cats, etc.....

3. Well established fruit & nut orchard

4. 1/4 acre or more sized kitchen garden, plus 1+ acre for grain crops (for us & critter feed)

5. manual grain grinder

6. I'd say a solar set up, but the NW isn't known for much sun activity :/

7. full sized pantry as in big enough to hold atleast a huge chest freezer & upright, plus several shelves.....all fully loaded

8. greenhouse

I know there's more but I can't remember it all right now :D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I really want a little Jersey cow for milk and cream but that is not going to happen because of the long winter and the need to purchase hay and my lack of enough pasture. I'd be thrilled to find someone nearby with one that I could get some milk from....
What about a miniature jersey? Our mini jersey/lowline cross has a temporary pen of 20 x 20 here, plus 'mows & fertilizes' my yard. She will have a 1/2 acre pasture at the new house, plus still get tied out. One round bale is supposed to get her through the winter here (MI), and I've already bartered one, but my Dad has a line on some 4 x 4 bales as insurance. She doesn't produce as much fertilizer as I had expected (I've only ever dealt with full size Holstein's), but between her & the chickens I think we'll be alright. Just a thought for your wish list.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Beanie said:
I want to be tall, blond and Swedish...oh wait, that's a different wish list. :p
:lol: I want to be 20 years younger!

1. Land enough for what I want to do.

2. A house that is off grid, whether from solar, wind, water or a combination.

3. No debt.

Once I get to that point, I'd worry about other things.